1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Enigma Qballs v. Robotalk 2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by morrisonhendrix, Jan 27, 2012.

1. morrisonhendrix

morrisonhendrix When the music's over, turn out the lights... Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I've searched but can't find a comparison between a Qballs and Robotalk 2. I've got a Qballs, but have only seen Youtube demos of the Robotalk.

Has anyone owned both and can give a comparison, tone-wise and whether one is wetter than the other? I would think that the two different voices on the Robotalk is certainly an advantage.

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    The QBalls Enigma is a VERY flexible envelope filter with adjustable frequency controls. It sounds damn good, even if the distortion circuit is only OK. The Robotalk 2 isn't very popular on bass - it's really voiced for guitar, isn't it? And it lacks the sample&hold feature that made the original Robotalk so cool at the time.

3. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    I think the Qballs sounds good too. It sounds better than the MXR BEF I had and it opens up more.

4. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    The robotalk2 has 2 sets of dip switches inside. One for input pad and one for the envelope frequency. There is also a direct volume to add dry signal. It is pretty sic on Bass

5. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    The demo I saw on the Xotic site was great on bass. Which would you choose? There are so many variables to consider, but I'd like to know which ones wetter, at the very least.

6. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I have them both...two different animals. QBalls is more "traditional" sounding (think Mutron III). While the Robo2 is a cross between DOD FX25B and MXR M82 (poppy, hiccuppy type of vibe).

"Wetter" is much too subjective of a question. Describe your definition of that term.

7. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Not a fan of ehx, so I ended up with the robotalk2. This thing is pretty wet and funky. The option to have two filter settings on tap is key. I am only selling mine (at a fantastic price) is cause I have a filter addiction. My Xerograph Deluxe and incoming Barge grinder are covering my needs. I really like the robotalk and if it doesn't move, then on the filter deck she goes.

8. +1, not a fan of EHX anymore either, pretty much done with them. They have some good/interesting ideas, but their pedals seem to lack just a little too much in the execution for my taste. I've had noise, volume jumps, etc. The only EHX I still have is the POG2 for slow attack/cello/B3-ish type sounds (once in a blue freakin' moon) and it's up for trade in my search for a BJFE Blueberry.

With envelopes specifically, the Robotalk 2 is the next on my list to try and it'll be the 22nd filter that I've tried or owned (yes, 22! :eek:). Funkinthetrunk is another Talkbass filter fiend, I should've known he'd weigh in. :p

Take my post for what it's worth though Morrison... I liked the MXR BEF better than the Qballs, it had more "pop" like Funk mentioned. I may not end up liking the Robotalk 2, but the videos make it interesting enough to me to make a purchase, versus trying the Qballs told me I didn't need to make a purchase.

As dharma mentioned, the internal DIP switches are key for bass. Don't know if you caught these, but here's a couple demos that have me pretty well sold on giving the R2 a shot... can't tell me it doesn't sound fonky!:

Travis Carlton Robotalk 2 Demo
    Oscar Cartaya with Robotalk 2
    Sean O'Bryan Smith Robotalk 2 (R2 stuff starts at 1:03)

$.02

5sg.

9. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Good info guys. My definition of wetter is hard to describe, but I'd say it's probably a little more tinny, opens up more, and very burpy.

I thought the MXR was none of the above, but then, maybe it was my bass and me. The Q balls definitely seems much closer to what I like. The Robotalk might just be a step above the Qballs since it has two switches s mentioned above.

10. Funkinthetrunk

The QBall does have the volume jump....don't like that much either. But IMO, sounds pretty close to the legendary MuIII. (If you're into that. I thought I'd bring that up since everything ultimately seems to be compared to it.)

My invitation still stands if you wanna try out the Robo2. I'm also putting together 2 Neutron (MuIII clones).

I hope Ohulahanbass would chime with his take.

11. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    What offer is that?

12. I'm pretty OCD about my setup... no noise, unity volume, etc. The guitarist at church has a noisy rig and it drives me up the wall. ;)

Funk was kind enough to invite me over to try out the R2. I sure appreciate the offer Funk, but I still have to pass for a bit... I'm still on the laid off unemployment train. If I try it, I'm going to want one worse than I already do, so I'm holding off for now. ;) (maybe with part of my tax return though...?)

The Mutron III sound is kind of what I don't like about it (and clones), as wonky as it sounds. It opens up fast and stays open... I can dig a bright filter that opens that quickly, but I like my filters to close again. I prefer a darker filter with a faster decay. The 3Leaf Proton is about as Mutron as this filter freak gets, and only because my Fromel version has the secret sauce speed DIP switch inside. ;)

5sg.

13. Funkinthetrunk

Sorry dawg...not directed to you. Fivestringgecko lives close by and we've had a "Filter Day" trying out all our toys.

But...if you're not that into the MXR, then the Robo2 may not cut it for you. You're on the right track with the QBalls, it an under rated filter, IMO. Don't get too caught up with filters....it's a bad and expensive habit. I have 8 on my pedalboard right now.

14. morrisonhendrix

Aug 14, 2009
    near Dallas, Texas
    Glad you mentioned the Proton. I had wondered where the Proton would sit in relation to the Qballs and R2.

15. Funkinthetrunk

I felt that the Proton was a tad too subtle for my taste. But it's a quality product and many people dig it for those reasons. You can get Proton out of the QBalls.

16. dharmashawn

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    For real! I have a $300+ filter that i have never tried, is not in production anymore, and is HUGE incoming. Way too many knobs and 3 expression inputs

17. Hello my name is fivestringgecko and I have an addiction. I can't seem to help myself with envelope filters. I'm proud to say I'm down to only owning four at the moment, but it's a daily struggle. lol

The regular Proton doesn't have that speed switch inside and sounds much more like a Mutron (which is what Spencer based it on) and because of that, leans more towards the Qballs side when compared between that and the Robotalk 2. The Proton can get close to the fast open quack of the Mutron, but it can also do a much darker murky gurgley filter sound too, which I didn't notice in my experience with the Mutron.

5sg.

18. I think I know the filter you speak of.... I owned one!!! hehehe

5sg.

19. Funkinthetrunk

Yes

20. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.