Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EHX filters? why so many?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dadodetres, Jun 14, 2005.

1. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    hey, i wonder why there are so manmy filters made by EHX and what is the difference between them, if anyone knos and want to coment on them be welcomed....

Bassballs

Qtron

Qtron+

Mini Qtron

Tube Zipper

Doctor Q

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    They kept coming up with cool names for 'em, so they had to keep cranking out new models to use those names before someone else did. ;)

Actually, I'm not too sure... I haven't looked too closely at their envelope filter pedals (yet.)

3. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    add also the bass micro synth wich i think its similar, right?

4. They are all really different pedals from simple, DrQ and BassBalls, a bit more complicated like ther Tube Zipper and MiniQ, and drive you crazy Qtron and Qtron+ and the king of tones the BassMicroSynth. I luv envelope followers and have owned a lot in the past and my faves are DrQ and BassBalls for live and recording and the BassMicroSynth for recording.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My favorite out of there is the Dr. Q, more subtle, just adds some "quack" to my playing. Don't need filters much, just like it for some variety. Everything else seems to be too over the top for me.

They're all different, go to ehx.com for some sound samples.

6. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    There's also the old school Zipper.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Been searching for one for two years. Came across one, sold way too high on eBay.

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I scored mine on the bay a few months ago for $200. It's all scratched up and missing a knob, but I can live with that :cool:

9. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    While we're talking about EHX, what's the difference between the Mini Q and the Q Tron? Can the Q Tron do everything the Mini can and more?

10. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    And which one would you guys suggest for Claypool-esque water drippy goodness?

And does the BSW compare to EHX or no?

11. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    also, is a synth the sum of an envelope filter and a distortion? or im wrong?

will i archive a good synth sound with a big muff and a Qtron? or any other filter

12. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Yes. Exactly what I did. Q-Tron with Big Muff before it. Sounds awesome. Sir Psycho Sexy style ;)

13. Sir psycho sexy was a mu-tron III with a battery on the way out.

14. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I know that, but the clipping from the distortion gives a very similar effect when put through the envelope filter.

15. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    do synth have the chance to remove drive and be used as enveop folters?

i already ordered a big muff so i could go for an envelop,

any suggestions?