1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX freeze muting intrument output

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by St Drogo, Jun 10, 2012.

1. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    I was wondering if the EHX freeze pedal can be modified to let the instrument signal through when turned off, but to cut off that signal and only let the `frozen` note through when pressing the button. As it is now, the notes you´re playing are not muted when the pedal is on.

Is there an easy way to change this, without opening the pedal up and messing around with the circuitry?

2. I'm sure it's possible to add a "wet only" switch. How, unfortunately I do not know. That'd be a cool mod to have on there.

3. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    THANK you. A "Wet only" switch. I was struggling with the wording, that's a lot more concise :p

4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

Not difficult to do but I don't understand how it could be an interesting option to have.

5. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    Yeah... Don't mean to troll, but: how about just not playing over it?

Edit: I guess you want to be able to hit your next note and then step on the freeze to change the drone instantly?

6. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I've heard of it being modded to add an fx loop, so a wet output should be possible.

7. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    Yeah, why would you want that option? I could see a stereo out mod (to split wet and clean)...

8. Slightly OT: I'm kind of surprised there isn't (to my knowledge) a level-triggered freeze effect of some kind. So you could just pluck a note or chord and have it automatically frozen.

9. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
  10. That's kind of an interesting pedal, and seems like it might be able to do it. It's hard to say from the demos since everyone demos auto mode with gliss. I'm hoping for an instantaneous transition between sounds.

11. ryansalmond

ryansalmond

Nov 21, 2007
    Canada
    Yeah it does that.

12. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    I think a tap tempo S&H style freeze would be cool as well.

13. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Yeah...why not just stop playing? There may be a different pedal that does what you want if you're trying to create drone compositions without hearing the bass. Maybe even an Ebow? Maybe a Slow Gear?

14. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Well, what i'm going for here is a set up with a crossover box, and two fx loops, one high freq, one low. The freeze would go into one of them (peobably the low one), and with a wet only output i'd be able to hold a low frequency note, and play over it with the other loop. If i go ahead with this set up and the freeze still lets the dry signal through when active, it defeats the purpose of the crossover and the two signalchains. At least when actually using the freeze.

I was thinking about putting a kill switch with a latch type button (hold to mute, release to unmute) directly before the freeze, and just press both buttons at the same time. That would do the trick, but i wanted to see if te freeze itself could not be modded for this, to save real estate.

15. Knettgummi

Knettgummi

Sep 28, 2011
    Granted, I really know nothing about modding pedals, but I'm sure it can be done with a little electronics savvy. You essentially need to add a bypass to the dry signal path, which I'm assuming is clearly separate based on how the effect works. It might be a little tricky to hook up the bypass, since the footswitch has both momentary and latch functionality...

16. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Yes, i'm hoping it's just a matter of opening the pedal up and cutting a lead; if it gets a lot more complicated than that, i'll try to find another solution because i don't want to mess my freeze up. I guess i'll have a look inside it later today or tomorrow.