1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX hog help me out here....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beyondhairy, Aug 25, 2007.

1. so i was offered $600 for my bass whammy and an contimplating selling it for the hog, but how does it work on bass and does it come with the expression pedal?

2. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    It comes with an expression pedal, but not with the preset footswitch which lets you save settings.

The HOG is awesome, but definitely won't track as well as your Bass Whammy. Having tried one out, it tracked about equally well as a Whammy IV.

I suggest reading the manual online so you know exactly what it does.

3. yea, i read the manual which is why im considering it

and im still not too familiar with what "Tracking" means

i know my bass whammy just sounds better then the wh-4 i owned and DEFINETLY better then the xp-100 i owned heh

4. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Tracking in this case refers to how quickly the pedal can respond and how digitized it makes the signal sound.

I think most TBers mean the latter when talking about pitch shifters and thats how I meant it above. My Whammy IV's response has always been instant (unlike midi which can have noticeable lags on low notes), but it can sound very digitized.

The HOG can digitize sounds a little, but when I tested it there was absolutely no lag. IMO the best part of the HOG is the envelope and other control mechanisms, so I'd make the trade.

5. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I would like to hear this on bass before i even consider selling my bass whammy.

6. olaff421

olaff421

Sep 29, 2006
    Murfreesboro TN
    I played the HOG at my local GC. I went in with some of the negative things I've read on here about it. When I plugged it in I was blown away. I think it sounds awesome. It tracked everything fine, I was even playing a 5-string. Granted, it was hard to hear the low B an octave down, but that's to be expected. Everything else sounded great, and you can even get the 'organ' sound out of it like the POG.

7. +1 Id be doing some real life testing of the HOG before making that move. You can always get a HOG, but once the bass whammy is gone, you could be hard pushed to get another if you decide you made a mistake.

8. lol iv bought TWO bass whammys, and combined, i only paid $400!

first one i got for 250, sold it for 500, got this oen for 150, selling it for 570

9. Skit1

Skit1 Guest

Jul 2, 2004
    England
    Speaking of HOGs I just ordered one last week so I should be getting it shortly.

I'll be posting some clips when I get it for you all to hear ;)

10. 1) I stand corrected
    2) I hate you
    3) not really :)

11. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Yeah i can sell my bass whammy for 700 nowadays >_> I got mine for 250 as well :] 500$ profit yay.

12. eyvindwa

eyvindwa

Aug 1, 2007
    Oslo, Norway
    Won't be much of a profit if you don't wanna sell it, though :)

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Yeah it's gonna be rerally hard to let go... this HOG would have to AMAZE me. Like the Moog Phaser did...

14. mattpnolan

mattpnolan Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    I'm going to be getting a HOG soon. If I could find a Bass Whammy for $250-300, I would definitely go for that, but I think it's more likely I get the HOG for $350 used on ebay. :)