1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX holy grail versus ...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johans, Aug 1, 2007.

1. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    hi,
    i was looking at the EHX holy grail and was wondering if anyone ever use it with bass and how it turns out to be? i do not need a very high end one, just a simple one with decent reverb is fine for me :) or ... name me your fax reverb you've used on your bass..

thanks!

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I love the Holy Grail Reverb. Very basic. Very clean sounding. I use the Spring setting, for the most part, as I just want to add some warmth. It does this VERY well.

I also have a Fender Reverb tank from teh 60's. The Grail does a pretty good replication of that tubey, spring reverb tone at a fraction of the size, cost and worry. You don't get the fun spring kicks, tho.

Before settling on the Grail, I did checkout BOSS and Digitech's reverbs, and I wasn't really satisfied with teh sound. I also ran an Alesis rack-mount Reverb in my effects, and that thing just colored my tone waayy too much and was too difficult to dial in the exact sounds I wanted.

3. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Search for a demo video I made with the Line 6 Verbzilla.

I also like the Digitech Digiverb. Not too over-the-top, and it has a lot of cool modes.

4. rollo47

rollo47 Wraggotry in Motion

Nov 12, 2002
    Perth, Australia
    It is a really good sounding pedal, but, in my experience, quite noisy. You've gotta get your amp set up just right to eliminate the noise.

5. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    yeah..
    i used Boss RV-5 before and .. somehow works out fine for me but I am willing to try new waters for better grail :meh:

6. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

I haven't tried it yet but, if the current Holy Grail is in fact noisy, then hopefully the new EHX Holy Grail Plus pedal which is coming out in September will be quieter.

George

7. johans

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    was the holy grail noisy in your experience?