1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Hot tubes or EHX Bass Soul Food or Sansamp VT Bass Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matches, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Matches

Matches

Mar 17, 2012
    Portland, Or
    I am playing bass in a country rock band and I am looking for something to warm up my sound and give me just a little grit in the tone, just nice minimal overdrive with tube warmth added to the tone. I've been thinking about the VT pedal for a long time but it seems the Hot Tubes can do something similar for a third of the price. The Soul Food video on You Tube had kind of a crappy sound to it so it tended to sound more thin sounding then the others and more distorted but I'm blaming the video. If it means anything I am playing a Precision bass with a "j" bridge pickup and going through a Carvin BR 510 combo. I'll probably try all three at the music store but there can be good advice here as well.

Thanks

2. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Of the three? VT Bass. But if you're just looking for some added tube like warmth without the fuss of an EQ, the Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop is where it's at. Knocked the VT right off my board. I play a Precision through a GK700RBII.

blindrabbit likes this.
  3. BazzTard

BazzTard Inactive

Sansamp stuff is good but expensive. Try the classifieds here? I've seen the VT up quite often. I got the BDDI for like $160 and they go for close to $400 here in Oz new.

I just received my Cave Passive Pedals' Grunt OD, totally passive, no battery needed. Produces a nice tubey sound to a growl. Made in Oz,seeing as our dollar is worth 70c US it may be a bargain.
    Tell Heath that Bazz sent you .

http://cavepassivepedals.bigcartel.com/

4. Fairfield Barbershop is what you are looking for. If memory serves me right, there is a really inexpensive clone of one (built by Dawes Audio) for sale in the Classifieds at the moment, if you need it to be really cheap. Regardless of price, its the best option out there for what you want.

petrus61 likes this.
  5. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I was asking myself the same question as the OP last weekend. After selling a BDDI and a VT, I spent a bit of time looking up the Bass Soul Food and the Hot Tubes. The HT was quickly dismissed because of overall bad reviews and videos. The BSF was strongly considered, but ultimately went for a VT Bass DI: I simply like the Tech21 sound, warmth and growl it brings to my table.... and the DI function is a big plus.

6. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    FWIW, the Hot Tubes is a great pedal, it just has a specific sound: it rolls off a ton of the top end, which I presume people perceive as tone sucking. To me, that's very good for bass if you are going for an old school tube sound. It's the closest I've seen a non-tube pedal come to my Blue Tube pedal. The Hot Tubes doesn't do grit or drive in the typical way, so it's not the best for that application. However, if you want the compression, "warmth" and slight punch of a tube preamp, the HT is a great way to go.

SwitchGear and crapusername like this.
  7. Ahhhhhh...the Blue Tube....*sigh*

8. Matches

Matches

Mar 17, 2012
    Portland, Or
    Thanks all for good advise on the pedal question. I was able to get the Sansamp VT and it sounds great. I know a lot people are fans of the Barbershop and it sounds like a great pedal, the VT is sounding great for me. Thanks again for the input.

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021