1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Hot Tubes settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HotTubesGrooves, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Hi guys

I have an Electro Harmonix hot tubes pedal (one of the newer ones with valves in). I tried using it ages ago with my old bass and amp, but was never satisfied with the results. I have recently changed my rig and bass though, and want to give it another chance.

I'm using a MIM P bass strung with medium rounds, through a Trace Elliot 300w 15" combo. I tend to boost the mids somewhat for a gritty rock tone, and I just want to get a bit of "edge" I can switch in and out, to thicken the sound up somewhat when I need it without being overly distorted.

Can anyone recommend some settings for the hot tubes? I feel like maybe I'm not using it to its full potential.

2. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I LOVE the Hot Tubes OD. On my main rig, it almost stays on all the time.. almost..

Anywho, I have yet to get the clicky sort of OD you get from a Digitech or a BOSS ODB. What I get is a creamy, dirty crunch that is mellow and screaming all at the same time.

I know.. I need sound clips...

Anyway, My settings:

Volume 11:30
    Gain 8:30
    Drive 9:00
    Bass Maxed
    Treble 3:00

The Volume is set so that there isn't a volume boost or drop between off and on. Treble is cranked until just before line noise starts coming through.