1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX hum de. vs ISP decimator, for my situation...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CannyBusDriver, Jan 11, 2012.

1. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Should I go with a EHX hum debugger or the ISP decimator if both my pickups are making sound AND my pedals are creating weird distortions and buzzing. I have a rc-20 loop pedal and a proton envelope filter by 3leaf.

OR should I completely change my direction of approach and get my 301/370 cabinet/head (purchased this month) reconed or atleast inspected....?

2. The EHX Hum Debugger will ONLY remove the 60-cycle hum (and 50-cycle for people in Europe) that you normally get from single-coil pickups. It will not remove any other sort of hiss or noise introduced by your signal chain.

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What you SHOULD do is go through your system and find the causes of the noise, and fix or remove them, rather than buying a pedal to mask the problems.

From what you've described so far, there are a dozen different possible causes of all the noise.

4. I have heard the ISP work magic on noisy setups

5. I have an ISP Decimator and use it for guitar and bass. I love it. For bass, I only use/need it when running two fuzz pedals.

6. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    ehh... too many options and problems. My issue here is I only got at most 200 dollars to spend to fix these problems. Thats either a pedal or a recone (if thats needed). I'll email my local guitar/luthier shop and see how much a cab amp inspection or reconing is.

7. +1

first go bass->Amp, then bass->pedal->Amp, then just add pedals back in, if there is the same noise at the first point (Bass->amp) then you could look at better shielding for your bass's electonics or maybe consider the HumDebugger. but equally it could be an amp issue.

Do you notice the same issues with other basses, or other amps, or in different locations?

EDIT: having re-read your post - if BOTH bass and amp are causing hum i'd suggest the ISP until you get the problem fixed properly, then sell the ISP to pay towards the repairs.

8. CannyBusDriver

CannyBusDriver

Jan 21, 2010
    Kansas
    Ya, I was thinking of the ISP as a temporary fix and I guess I'll eventually get my amp inspected. I'll look at the whole shielding thing, do a little research. My bass was fine with my crate 25w and beringer. But the pedals would always have a little buzzing.

I read somewhere that the ISP Decimator doesn't cut humming or buzzy sound when you are playing, only when you are not playing. Is this true? Because the problem seems to be persistent while i play...

"The Decimator only cuts the hiss when your signal gets below the decibel level of the hiss in the signal- this means that the hiss will still be in the signal when you are actually playing, it just won't be there when you stop playing. Depending on how bad the hiss is, it may work fine for you. If the hiss is noticeable when you are actually playing, or if you like to let notes ring out and decay naturally, then it might not be ideal...
    __________________" - Sunbeast. (on some older thread)