1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Little Big Muff Pi

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by McHack, May 10, 2006.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Anyone have any experiences re: this distortion box? A guitarist friend of mine has one, & doesnt use it. I was thinking of fiddling around with it.

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    If it's the new one that looks similar to the NYC Reissue (with all 3 knobs), I have nothing but praise :)

I just wouldn't run it on battery power unless you have a screwdriver handy...

Just look around for a review of mine if you want the full details. I've posted to a few threads about this, and I also put up a review in the "Gear Reviews" section of TB.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    No, this one isnt a re-issue... its one of the original units, & they dont make this particular model anymore. It appears to just 1 switch & 1 knob... I havent held the thing yet, & am just curious.

Comments from my friend, indicate HE thinks its just an unusable fuzz box. But, he's a telecaster player who likes clean & warm.

4. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Yeah, that's the old one, all right. I can't help you there.

Tplyons seems to know some stuff about it (he introduced me to the old one in another thread). Ask him, perhaps?

I can't think of anyone else who has seen or possibly used it. I'd imagine it can't be bad, though, as the Muff family is generally a great one. Then again, it's vintage... and I've never used anything older than a mid 90's Boss pedal.

Regardless, if you can borrow it from your guitar-playing buddy, don't forget to record some samples for the rest of us, since it's such a hard box to find :)

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Finally had a chance to fiddle w/ this unit last night.

There's only 2 controls, a 2 position switch & a volume knob. That's it. The switch, is a fuzz-type selector. One side sounds like full on fuzz, the other position sound like full on fuzz in a tin can from about 100 feet away. Kind of choked off, if you will

I'm probably going to do a bad job of describing how this thing sounds, but I'll give it a go.

I had hoped, the grade & level of distortion would be adjustable... and how its blended w/ my line signal. This is NOT the case w/ this unit. You turn it on, & it goes fuzz.
    It doesnt sound well integrated into yer tone, just sort of layered on top of it. Maybe, in replacement of yer tone. That made things sound kind of artificial to me. There's so much fuzz, you have trouble identifying individual notes your playing,,,, so why bother. Think of a big wall of fuzz.

That said, I did find it useful on a couple of songs, but mostly old school metal songs like Black Sabbath. This is where it shines. A quick run thru NIB & it sounds like home. But, I think this thing produces way more overdrive than Geezer ever played it with. It just sounds wicked.

To me, its the kind of effect you dont keep on your board, but it might be interesting to keep it around for those times you may need it.

Now, if I can figure out how to record samples...

6. JanusZarate

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Easiest way to record samples is just to use a cable with 1/8" headphone jacks on both ends and plug direct into your computer. Use a freeware program like Audacity to record, or even the basic Windows Sound Recorder. You'll need a 1/8"-to-1/4" adapter for one end of your cable, to plug into an amp's line out or the pedal out jack (with my laptop, I get enough output from a bass guitar to do a half-decent recording...it'll sound better with an amp's or preamp's line out, though it'll be noisier).

XLR is, without a doubt, a better solution, but I don't have an adapter for that.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Actually, my knowledge of this pedal is quite limited, albeit it's an old unit in which the name has been recycled.

I've been itching to try the original for a while.

8. This pedal almost sounds like the EHX Bass Balls pedal.......You don't think they created a new distortion and used the original for the Bass Balls circuitry do ya???????

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Bassballs isnt a distortion box... its more of a modulator, but they call it a filter. Sounds kinda pseudo synthy sounding from sound clips I've heard. I'm thinking of getting one for some pop stuff I do.

But, in operation it does seem to have a similar control layout.... 1 switch, 1 knob.

10. I think Superbassman2000 (The one with Hobbes playing bass in his avatar) has one, I definitly knew what you were talking about, and I've seen him post pictures of it attached to his belt, he might be able to help you out.

11. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, I futzed around w/ this thing all weekend, & ultimately have decided I'm not going to buy it from my friend. I like what it can do, but I want something that can cover mild overdriven grit, to full on distortion.

I'm thinking about giving a Fulltone Bass Drive.