1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX LPB-1 Linear Power Booster Overdrive Soundclips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, May 15, 2011.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I picked up an LPB-1 because hey, it was cheap. It actually does provide a very nice sounding dark boost when you play lightly, I really like it's sound in that manner. But I mostly play very hard with high output basses which cause the pedal to fuzz out a bit. But some people, I thought, might find that tone useful so I recorded a clip of it.

For this clip I'm playing a Fender Mustang Bass with a Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounder in it through the LPB-1, somewhat dead roundwound strings, fingerstyle, and the tone on the bass rolled down a bit. There's a lot of pickup clunk, which some players would like, I know I don't, but for that somewhat rocky clunky overdriven tone, this pedal isn't too bad for 40$. Here's how it sounds:

SoundClick artist: Psychedelic Bass Jams - page with MP3 music downloads

I can't do any more clips of this with the Precision pickup because the bass has been mudbuckered, but if anyone would like to hear clips of how it sounds with a Dimarzio Model One I could do that as well at some point. Or I suppose I should do some with some lighter playing with the pedal on/off so you can see how it affects the sound. Let me know if you want to hear anything else, and let me know what you think!

2. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    very nice. I agree the clank is a little much.

Was that with the fuzz you mentioned from sending too much signal in?

3. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yes, that is the pedal itself overdriven.

Also the pickup clunk that you hear isn't the pedal's fault, that's a combination of the playing style I used for that clip and the pickup that was in the bass at the time. I'll try to do more clips without the pickup clunk in there when I get a chance.

4. rob_thebassman

rob_thebassman

Jul 26, 2010
    Normanton, UK
    playing bass since 2005
    sounds like a good pedal :p

5. Love it ! Any low cut?

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    This pedal is actually meant as a clean booster, so no it doesn't cut any lows. It does alter your tone some though, it's not an incredibly transparent clean booster. But yeah that's the pedal distorting, not making my amp distort. Imparts kind of a 60's transistorish drive to the sound when you play with a hot pickup.