1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX LPB-1 question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jhan, May 3, 2010.

1. jhan

jhan Guest

I was looking at the EHX LPB-1 for a neutral, clean boost for when I switch between active and passive basses live. Real cheap, obviously, and some people have said good things about it here and elsewhere. Trouble is, I've had issues with 2 EHX pedals and my Spector Euro 5. Seems the EMG's overloaded the pedals or something, and they wouldn't work.

Any thoughts? Would be real cool if this thing worked for me. $40 is awesome.

2. I use it with an active bass and it doesn't overload it. Thing is though, it isn't the cleanest boost. Although I have never played it through another set up other than mine.

3. LPB-1's are super easy to built yourself too. About $20 of parts (including enclosure). It was my first attempt at building a circuit, and I managed just fine. You could also tweak it to be even more bass friendly, or specific to your needs.

If you decide to go that way, there are lot's of great DIY sites that will help you out. beavisaudio.com is a great place to start. diystompboxes.com is good too (with awesome forum).

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
  5. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    I have both an LPB-1 and a high-end Xotic RC. Both will accomplish what you want! The LPB-1 doesn't have a lot of input-headroom, however, so a really hot input won't sound a s good (it doesn't 'clip' my uber-hot active Fender 5 deluxe, but it does alter the tone in a bad way).

I've actually put the LPB-1 on a scope & run pink noise through it. It's pretty flat over all! Just a little treble attenuation at higher boost settings- but I don't believe that it inherently clips the signal one bit. It's the components downstream from it that get overdriven!

6. jhan

jhan Guest

Good stuff to know. I'll be using the LPB-1 to boost volume on my passive basses. I'll probably never use it for a boost on my Spector, so hopefully I won't have problems with really hot input.

7. strke-fender

strke-fender

Feb 26, 2009
    The MXR Micro Amp works well for me.

HolmeBass likes this.
  8. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Exactly! It should work fine for you! :)

If, down the road, you're pants are hemorrhaging cash- then spring for an RC Booster from Xotic or something of equal quality. The sonic differences aren't as huge as the price differences, but there is certainly an appreciable improvement none-the-less.

9. jhan

jhan Guest

Ahhhh, an RC Booster. LOVE Xotic pedals! Have an AC booster I use is conjunction with a Sansamp BDDI for dirt. Works nice.

10. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    The Xotic Bass RC Booster is one of my top 5 best-sounding & engineered pedals! Incredibly transparent (with eq in detented flat positions) and quiet. Plus, the Baxandall eq is very powerful and musical sounding (rare, imo).

If you can come up with the scratch ($$$), the RC is the way to go! Btw, the guitar (white) version has less headroom and a different treble eq center. (I used to use it.)

11. jhan

jhan Guest

Would really like to know what those other 4 pedals are!

12. bluestarbass

bluestarbass

Jul 31, 2007
    Indianapolis
    I run this pedal on my board. Helps me peek over my guitarists 150 watt stack. I like what it does to my tone even though I don't find it to be super transparent. I stopped gigging with my p bass until I started using this and it really helped.

13. the LPB-1 can be modded for 12v or 18v. Don't ask me exactly how though.

And yes, it is very sensitive to signal chain. If it's before a distortion, it will definitely send it cranking. In fact, the original ads for the LPB-1 said to put to in a row for a sick overdrive. (the first one overdrives the second one). In the same way, it will send a tube amp into overdrive.

Best place for it as a clean boost would be after all other effects and right before your amp.

14. giacomini

giacomini

Dec 14, 2008
    Florianopolis - Brazil
    Endorsing: Copetti Guitars
    Just bought the LPB-1 to match the volume of my lace-sensor powered Fender P-Plus with the other (hotter output) basses.

I was thinking first in chain because I'd turn it on when I'm using the P-Plus to get a little more gain out of it, but I might try it around, specially after the VT Bass (does the buffered output of the VT count?)

15. I bought one this weekend to give my p bass a little volume boost because fender use the grease bucket and with the tone close it sounds like crap. The pedal is working the way I like it!

16. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    x1QIkyew6GI. x1QIkyew6GI.