EHX Mel9 Cello sound mp3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ChubbyJerk, May 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    I put together a little loop and laid down a quick cello recording.

EBMM Sterling straight into the Mel9 into a Line 6 Helix through USB to DAW. Mel9 mix had dry bass all the way off. I should've mixed in some dry; I had it hooked up, but I screwed up and didn't record that output. No effects on the Helix other than the amp/cab sim. One piano track, one drum track, and the Mel9. No vst effects on any track, just adjusted pan and volume.

The last note I just let ring out of curiosity to see how long it would go. :)

There's been a lack of bass demos and a lot of discussion, so I figured I'd take a couple minutes and toss something up here.

demo

2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Sounds like that last sustain was a C. I'd like to see you try that on an open A, Mr. Smarty pants.

FilterFunk and Adamixoye like this.
  3. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Cello is specifically stated to only track down to the C, Mr. Smarty Pants! All notes were C-C iirc.

-Liam- and Adamixoye like this.
  4. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    In all sincerity, that little demo gave me a full on 60's flashback. They didn't call it a Mellotron for nothing ya know.

5. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Far out, man. Far out.

ThePresident777 likes this.
  6. Please demo some of the other sounds, Mel9 just might fit some sounds only dreamt of.

7. Man, you can hear how well that tracks! :)

Nice demo!

nshuman and pacojas like this.
  8. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Nicely done! How did you have it set?

10. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    That sounded pretty good dude.
    As a cellist, it did a great emulation. I'd love to hear some more of the other tones as well though.
    Perhaps, if you could, you could run downwards from the c so we can hear the pedal in that lower end? I know ehx say that it tracks only to c, but they said that with the b and c models. I'm regularly using them below that with reasonable effect ;)

blindrabbit likes this.
  11. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    Sounds great! Really captures that Melotron thang.

blindrabbit and ChubbyJerk like this.
  12. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I was going to say "Pretty good for someone who has no reading comprehension and doesn't understand logic," but this works too. :roflmao:

13. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    I agree. I think it is important to remember though that we should be judging on its ability to sound like a Melotron, not its ability to sound like a cello...

Man I would love to own an original Melotron. They are such amazing but fragile instruments

blindrabbit likes this.
  14. nshuman

nshuman

Sep 4, 2012
    WWWJWWW
    I am going to just say thanks for the great demo dude and try REAL HARD not to make any tracking/comprehension/technique jokes ;)

15. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the track

16. ChubbyJerk

ChubbyJerk

Apr 23, 2011
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...I tried really hard to keep my post on point. Just a quick demo.

It's pretty obvious as you play it, however, that technique does play a huge part. Muting the other strings is important. For example, you can hear the other frequencies dropping out over time as that last note rings out. Even more importantly (IMO), you have to fret very cleanly. It's designed to track all bends and slides and vibrato. It picks up slight changes that you probably wouldn't notice with just the bass, and it really highlights them. It warbles if you play sloppy. It definitely picks up everything.

I don't remember exactly where the knobs were set, but something like this:
    Dry: all the way off.
    Wet: somewhere around unity.
    Attack: low, most of the way down...9:00 maybe.
    Sustain: up quite a bit, 3:00 or so.

I can try to do some other demos this week, but my nights are pretty busy. I'm not set up to record video, but maybe I can figure something out.

blindrabbit, Marial and pacojas like this.
  17. I honestly don't see why tracking down to A is such a big deal to some people. A real cello doesn't go below c and it's supposed to be a cello sound not a double bass sound.

That said I can hear what some folks complain about with the vibrato. Wish it was adjustable. It adds a nice flavor but I wouldn't want it that extreme all the time. Would have been awesome if they would have included step and hold feature like the digitech dirty robot which simulates a mod wheel to add vibrato to sustained notes.

blindrabbit likes this.
  18. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    That sounded great to my ears! I've only heard negatives about this pedal so far, so it's nice to hear someone use it well.

crapusername likes this.