1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Metaphor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jul 22, 2008.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Has anyone tried this yet? Tone Factor just got some in and the price is so cheap but they also have some Linden Eq's in which might be awesome when paired with a JDI or something.

But yeah someone go try it and report back :D

2. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Not it...

3. I've got one, but I don't think that I am the best review around. I don't have the width of experience with pedals that most do around here, and so far I have only used it once, but here goes.

Pros: Pretty good tone shaping. My primary (crappy) bass has really nice low end, but it is hard to get good high end out of it. In the past I have soloed the bridge to extract the high end, but that seems to kill a little sustain. With this I was able to bring up the highs without making bass sound unnaturally EQ'd, which I have had trouble with in the past. I was able to get a wide array of sounds, but I was in a band situation so I didn't spend all day tweaking it.

The compressor helped my sound a little but I prefer to kill it when using a filter (sorry, I'm no Bongo). The compressor has no external tweakable properties.

The price can't be beat, and it is really easy to figure out the sounds.

Cons: No battery power (ugh). Nine volt center negative, less than 200mA, can be daisy chained.

Distortion channel almost HAS to be used as a lead channel or an always on as it isn't audible unless you boost the total output volume. I am not a huge fan of this distortion sound (it kind of reminds me of an 80's lead guitar tone). I can use it, but it is not my ideal sound. YMMV.

Other: There are two trimpots on the inside marked as trimpot 2 and 3, which leads me to believe that there is a third on the topside of the card, but I didn't completely disassemble the pedal. I didn't mess with them yet, and I have no idea what parameters they control, but I suspect they are related to the compressor and gain control on the distortion.

Overview: For the price I think it is solid for the tone shaping alone. I have yet to use it as a DI so I don't know how well it works in that application. Hope this helps.

4. I'm really curious about this thing. Does anyone know how it compares to an MXR M-80 or the SABDDI?

5. TaySte, wasn't it just over a month ago that you said you were done....I knew you wouldn't be able to kick the habit!

:D

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I'm still looking for a pre/di box I used my Iamp800 in the studio for this job and its just a waste of an 800w power section and the headphones is noisy.

7. That makes sense....And the price is nice too.

8. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    I think the Linden and JDI pairing might work out well.
    Cream Pie> compressor> Linden> JDI = full featured front end!

9. Hey cheapbasslovin, what does the "EQ Level" knob actually do? Does it adjust how much boost and cut is available from the EQ controls?

10. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I've forgotten, have you tried the PJ Bass Buddy yet? If not that's where I'd steer you.

11. Captain_Arrrg

Captain_Arrrg

Jan 23, 2008
    Mountains of Colorado
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    External... You mean it's either on or off?!? :confused:

IMO- When I find that a sound I love with my Qtron+, but ends up too hot, a compressor is a godsend.

Any chance of some clips? I have yet to find anything to let me know what this thing really can do. :help:

12. Bassman: The distortion, eq, and dry are all parallel signals. So the eq level acts as a volume of the eq'd section, then you combine it with the dry and mix the two together. I believe that this is why the upped freqs sound more natural, it is blended with the dry. This is also why the distortion HAS to be used as a lead in a live setting, you push the button and it ADDS a distorted line to the already setup sound, it doesn't run the existing sound through the distortion. If you only have the distortion turned up and the eq and dry turned down, you can use it as a dirt pedal exclusively, but I don't think it is at its best this way.

Cap'n AAaarg: The compressor is on or off, controlled by the toggle switch on the face. I would guess that there are some trimpot tweaks you can make, but I haven't verified any of that. The compressor works to reduce spikes, and doesn't sound unnatural to me. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't.

Sorry, no sound clips for a bit. I never hook anything up to record unless a band is looking to make a new recording, or I am out of town away from my family (recording just takes so long sometimes).

13. Huuuuuuhhhh... That definitely sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to trying this thing out.

14. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz!

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
  15. MHLakland

MHLakland Registered Bass Nut

Aug 13, 2008
    Florida
    Glad I found this in search.

If you had a choice between the Metaphors or The Black Finger which would be better?

I'm mainly interested in adding a compressor. Although after seeing the video and reading the posts, it seems like there's no adjustment for compression. I'm looking for a small amount 2-1 or 1.5-1. The Metaphors' compression sounded good (was acceptable for me), but would the Black Finger be better for adjustments (or any other compression pedal for that matter)?

With all that said, I did like the distortion and the EQ of the Metaphors from the video, and looking for some thoughts before trying them out.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021