1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX microsynth, any real difference between old and new?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stringmaster, Sep 22, 2010.

1. I've been looking super hard for a used microsynth. I'm trying to pick one up cheap, but the less expensive ones tend to be the bigger older ones. Makes sense, but I've heard some people like them better. I'm just curious if there is any real difference in the two other than size and power source.

2. Bypass quality, precision of the sliders, and (by account of several synth pedal enthusiasts here) discrepancy in sound quality.

Winner of Round 1 - New
    Round 2 - Old
    Round 3 - Old

Hope that helps.

3. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I have the old biggie BMS that I converted to have true bypass. Great units, they are. But I don't know what the new XO series sound like.

4. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If you do the true-bypass conversion on the older one (and it's a really easy thing to do on most of them, I did it and I am not an electrician) they are better than the new ones.

The old ones sound better and they're easier to use. I've had three of the old ones and one of the new ones. Currently I don't have a BMS and it feels weird...

5. So the consensus is that it is better to make more room on my board and get the cheaper, older one because people like it more? Sounds good to me :)

Got any diagrams or anything? Sounds like a must.

6. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    If you do a search in this forum you'll find a thread dedicated to the mod, lots of diagrams and photos and explanation.

7. The original issues and the reissue are all analog and each a bit different, they have pretty poor bypasses but sound glorious!
    The XO are true bypass and are a lot more consistent sounding unit to unit and sound good but missing the magic to my ears, I miss the individuality.
    My reissue stays in the studio and i use it in a bypass loop, but if I needed one for a pedal board I'd get an XO for the size and ability to replace if lost or stolen.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021