Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ehx microsynth vs boss syb-5

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by deemo, Oct 5, 2005.

1. deemo

deemo

May 23, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    i'm looking at these two pedals, mainly for the square wave, but i can mess around with the other features.

basically, in your experience, would you recommend to me more?

money isn't an option, feel free to even point me out to other synths in that sort of price range.

reminder: i really want square wave, it's the top priority for me.

2. haven't tried the syb5, but IMO it would have to have been an enormous improvement over the syb3 for it to even come close to the microsynth.

microsynth pros; versatile (mild to extreme and everything in between), very tweakable, top notch sound.

microsynth cons; very tweakable (sometimes NOT a good option on stage!), large, expensive.

So, if you need "instant" sounds, go the syb, but if you want total control over the sounds, go the microsynth.

My cats have learned to recognise the microsynth, and when they see it they run and hide under the bed. 'Nuff said! :bassist:

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I say digitech BSW or maybe a Crowther Prunes & Custard as that gets very synthy

4. Unless you can find an Akai Deep IMpact then the BassMicroSynth is the way to go especially for square wave sounds. It has the square wave and also the octave up with square wave plus you can add in bass and sub bass tones to enrichen your sound as well as full control over the adsr functions. It can be a drag to use live if you need to change sounds but once you learn all your settings it is a wonderful sound tool.
    The down side is it is a fragile pedal that you will need to protect and it does not have true bypass. When I use mine live it is in a loop and sits where I can easily reach it to make adjustments. I use it quite a lot for recording because I can easily slide in just the sound I want.
    IMO the Boss is a complete waste of time unless you really love the sound and honestly there are several other pedals from Ibanez, Digitech and even many multiefx pedals that have more useful synthy tones than the Boss, shux I even use some of the synth sounds on my Zoom 607 from time to time especially the Taurus setting.

5. ehx bass microsynth IMHO. Personally haven`t liked bosses synths, not syb-3 nor syb-5. Digitechs bass synth wah could be nice like TaySte suggested. Digitech is much cheaper than ehx anyway.

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    The syb-5 is definately an improvement over the syb-3, but having used both, I would take the microsynth if money was no object.

7. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Also take a look at the EH BassMicroSynth with true bypass mod from AnalogMan. Very nice upgrade and it solves the one big problem area of the BMS, and most other EH gear for that matter.

8. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida

+ 1 here. The Boss syb3 is amazingly below par; the Microsynth is way cool. In my opinion, of couse.

9. I thought EHX has upgraded all of their US made stomp boxes true bypass. I might be wrong. Anyway BMS sucks your tone without true bypass.

10. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    You are correct. The newer models do have true bypass, I've been doing a lot of research on this. I get to decide between the microsunth and Deep Impact. NOT FUN! ;)

11. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Prunes & Custard. Yea'mon. I'd love to try one. Hard to find, aren't they. Or am I just not looking in the right place?

12. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    That's the quote of the day. LOL

13. deemo

deemo

May 23, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    in terms of the comments about the tweakability and true bypass, for either pedal, i was thinking of having it higher up (keyboard stand possibly?) and having a loooper on the ground near it so i can just stomp the switch and have the pedal going.

then if i need to have some tweaks i can sustain the note or whatever with my left hand and use my right to move the sliders. i guess i can even put little stickers to mark settings and all that for songs.

i think i'm set on the microsynth, now just to wait for cash

thanks for your input everyone :)