Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EHX Muff'n, Big Muff, Hot Tubes, Fulltone, Sansamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Vosk, Jan 16, 2006.

1. EHX Muff'n, Big Muff, Hot Tubes, Fulltone Bass Driver, Sansamp Programmable pedals

Hi guys,

Just wondering what your thoughts are on these pedals, for use for Bass. I'll probably have to shell out a bit of dosh for my next od/dist., so I looked at the pedal sample thread and found a particularly attractive recording of a '78 P with flats recorded through an English Muff'n. I loved the overdrive tone, it was pretty much just what I was looking for.

So, I'll try and obtain one to try at a store, but being 15 and not walking round with a lot of cash or wearing expensive suits and rolexs, I don't look the type to buy a $500AUD pedal. So I don't think they'll let me try 10 in a row while everyone else has to wait (only one practice room).

So, any of these sound bad or particularily great? I'm looking for something that will give me that smooth, lightly tube od'd sound, and also hopefully give me something a bit harder that I can use to try and get that Timmy C "Calm Like A Bomb" RATM tone.

Thoughs? I'm leaning toward a Muff'n as I really liked the recording. Here is a link: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2603283&postcount=60

2. From what ive heard of the muffn, its freakin great.

Ebay is your friend. Youll be able to find one on there new for probably half price.

Another pedal to consider might be the new Jekyll & Hyde. I have one coming in the mail this week or next week.

3. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I just bought a Muff'n (new from a dealer) off Ebay for $175 USD ($232 AUD). When it arrives, I'll post a full bass-specific review.

5. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Here is your bass review for the Muff'n.

It is the very best OD/Distortion I have ever played on a bass. In fact, we have a song on the myspace page where I use it.

www.myspace.com/goodbyebeautiful

6. mattm0805

mattm0805

Oct 13, 2004
    +1 on the Fulltone. Its freakin great!

7. Any fulltone samples?