1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Nano Muff Overdrive SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Sep 10, 2008.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Ok so I got one of these Muff Overdrives today, they're super cheap, I got mine for $44. There's only a volume control on the pedal, but it's perfect for adding just a bit of dark overdrive to your sound. Pretty fat sounding too, a lot fatter than I expected. I think it's a great buy if you're on a budget and looking for some overdrive. I've only played with the pedal for a few minutes but I have a few quick soundclips. Here's the Muff Overdrive with a Fender Jazz Bass for just some slight dirt:

http://media.putfile.com/MuffJazzBass

Sorry but the strings on that bass are dead, so it doesn't sound as good as it could, but that should give you some idea. And you might guess you can get much more dirt out of this box with a higher output guitar, so here's a soundclip using just the bridge pickup of a Gibson SG Bass for some gnarly dirt:

http://media.putfile.com/MuffSGBass

The actual sound coming out of my amp is more raw and open, and therefore a little less dark than what you're hearing recorded in this soundclip, but again that should give you an idea. Ok I have one more soundclip of the Muff Overdrive run into a distorted preamp (DHA Standard Dual Bass, first channel only) to show how the Muff stacks with other overdrive. Nice tasty feedback at the end:

http://media.putfile.com/SGMuffVTBass

That was also the bridge pickup only on the Gibson SG Bass. Anyway, check out this bargain funky vintage overdrive pedal. I dig it.

2. I'm not going to lie, that sounds a lot better than I'd expect it to.

3. ill be honest, that sounds freaking sweet

how is it for low end? the third clip sounded a little lighter on the low frequencies, but the first two sounded like a quality bass overdrive, also, are there any power issues? i heard you cant daisy-chain the nanos or something.

good work, i may have to buy one, but god knows ive got enuf fuzz and overdrive already

4. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    A friend of mine had one and I really loved it with a passive bass but not so much with my Stingray copy. I really like some nice mellow drive, of course the distinction gets easily lost in a band situation.

5. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I'm gonna have to get one of these!! And can I get a tab for that third riff?

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    The low end retention with the Nano Muff Overdrive is surprisingly good, it doesn't bother your low end that I've noticed. No power supply issues either; not with this and not with any other nano pedal I have tried.

It is actually a vintage fuzz design ca. 1969 so like a lot of dirtboxes (especially those designed before active guitars became popular) obviously it's not designed to be used with active guitars and I can't guarantee it won't sound like crap with an active guitar or even with a pedal with a buffered bypass in front of it in your chain. I used to play active guitars, but to be honest if you're really serious about your dirty sound I recommend sacrificing the usefulness of active electronics on your bass for the better dirty tone you'll get and the wider variety of pedals out there that will be useful to you. Most dirtboxes aren't designed to be used with active electronics and to my ears don't sound their best with active guitars, although of course that difference is most appreciable with certain fuzz circuits. Of course what is appreciable to you may vary, but, you get the point.

And the last clip is just some noodling starting on D, though I may have been tuned down a half step... well the guitar was in tune but probably just in tune with itself. At any rate, it's still just a noodle starting from D.

7. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    those are the first GOOD sound clips ive heard on this pedal. its seems worth going in to a GC to test it out myself

8. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you using a pick? These are pretty amazing. I have heard that this pedal is crap. Soooooo, forget what you heard.

9. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I predict that these puppies are going to be flying out of GC/MF.

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Got mine for $44 from samedaymusic. Free shipping on that and an SM57 and tripod and whirlwind XLR Cabel 1 CHEAP

I used a pick, well, here:ninja: and there:bassist:, and there's some fingerstyle playing around in my samples as well:hyper:. I try to pick soundclips that will show something well about the pedal....

11. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    i've been recommending this for awhile... but no one seems to listen.. i guess sound clips do the talking.. =p

12. RosatoFamily

RosatoFamily

Jul 9, 2005
    very nice...thanks for sharing...

just curious...what were your DHA VT2 settings? I love to explore the almost eddless tone variations of overdrive overdriving overdrive...

13. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I might just pick up one of these little bad boys this afternoon, I'll let everyone know how it sounds :)

14. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    $44 is such a great price for a small and simple OD.

So is the double muff the same thing twice in one pedal?

15. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    nope. it isnt.

16. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
    I just picked up the Nano Muff and am working on a review of it now. So far I like it!

17. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Warren, MI
  18. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Wow, for $44 I'd say everyone should pick one of these up.

19. I like the sounds clips, but it's a little too light for my purposes. I like everyhting balls to the wall, like the VT one.

20. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Are you sure. Cuz on EH website they claim both are from the "original 1969 Muff Fuzz". The double muff have two.