EHX Nano Switchblade (How to Use)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Fullmetal, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    Ok, so I'm thinking about buying the EHX Nano switchblade to use as a line selector, but theres something I don't understand about it.

It has 3 jacks, A, B and Y. Now on the Boss line selector it has 6 jacks (A in/out, B in/out, input and output) and this makes sense. However the switchblade only has the three which leads me to wonder, how does it make a loop?

Because (please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm a noob) I think the bass goes in Y, and the pedals link to A and B to make the lines, but then how do they end? You can't put 2 leads into one amp.

Please help?

Many thanks
    Jak

2. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    I think this pedal wasn't designed as a looper. more as a amp selector or if you want to use 2 different basses.

3. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It's not the same as a loop - it's a line selector, used for running to basses into one amp or one bass into two amps (selectable by a switch).

4. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    Really? On the description it said it can be used to run between 2 pedalboards which is essentially what I'm trying to do. But both boards (or loops) would link to the same amp.

Oh well nevermind. Thanks anyway.

5. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth Nothing to fret over. Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    All you'd need is a passive 2-in 1-out box like this to join the signals before the amp.

Edit: or, if it works for you, follow the advice below that my lazy ass was remiss in mentioning.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    The problem here is that you'd have to hit two switches to achieve the same thing you could do with an ordinary bypass loop pedal that has one switch. Plus, a passive setup like that presents other potential problems.

Going to the OP: The Switchblade allows you to switch between line A and line B. It does not have any bypass loops. It's an incredibly simple pedal. As far as pedalboards are concerned... yes it does say that in the description, and under specific circumstances that IS a possibility, but you need to realize that it's not a loop pedal. You need to have something on the other end of the board, or it will switch into silence.

The Switchblade is simply designed with guitarists in mind - after all, they use 1/4" cables for their cabinets, often have more elaborate effects loops, etc.

What you want is a pedal with two bypass loops. Some are designed to allow one, both, or no loops to be on. Others can alternate between loop A and loop B, which is probably closer to what you want.

Here's an example of what you're looking for: the Loop-Master Clean/Dirty Effects Switcher. One switch, two loops.

7. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    well yeah, that's the same as running 2 basses into one amp...2 board outputs, choose one or the other. You can use both at the same time but there will be signal loss.

8. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Boise, ID, USA
    My apologies if I came off harsh on that post. Not my intent - just trying to be informative. :D

My response was based on the OP's follow-up post, right before yours. ;)

9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 16, 2021