1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Op-Amp Big Muff Pi - love it on guitar, not at all on bass!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Junta, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Junta

Junta

Aug 11, 2016
    OK, first off, amateur-beginner here... Go easy on me!

Although I have the Earthquaker Devices Cloven Hoof, as well as 5 other fuzz pedals, I had to give the Op-Amp Big Muff Pi a try... I gave the Green Russian Big Muff to a young family member as a X-Mas present, and I was so impressed with what it could do with it on both guitar and bass... But I had to try the Op-Amp Big Muff Pi before I could decide which one to buy for myself.

Short reportback: I love the Op-Amp Big Muff Pi on guitar. It sounds way better than the Earthquaker Cloven Hoof in my opinion, especially with moderate sustain and close to max volume. With that kind of setting, the EHX goes into territory the Cloven oof cannot. As a fan of the Smashing Pumpkins sound, it is difficult to resist. Bass? Look else where I would say. I think the Green Russian Big Muff is much better suited for bass.

So I made this quick recording using the Op-Amp Big Muff Pi on all guitar and bass parts, but I mixed the bass with the clean DI. I increased the Pi's volume in the mix in the end where the guitars go silent and it is drums (EZ Drummer 2) and bass only.

I used a Les Paul Studio Plus (2014) tuned to Drop C and an Ibanez 5 string bass so that I could hit those low Cs to see how the Op-Amp Big Muff Pi sounds that low... MY RESULTS on the bass sucked... With bass, the pedal caves in on itself bigtime - of course I mean in my hands...

I am looking forward to more pro demos of this pedal on both guitar and bass. Cheers!

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I'm confused by your comments in your post because the pedal sounds awesome in your demo.

sideFX, Spectrum and Korladis like this.
  3. Junta

Junta

Aug 11, 2016
    Really? On bass too? :D

It is entirely possible I failed to fail the pedal! :roflmao:

Cheers!

4. 2010P

2010P Banned

May 13, 2017
    I agree with Father. I was going to say that sound could easily be someones sound they've been looking to get.

I think the pedal sounds great, especially in this vid. Op amp starts at 3:23

Korladis likes this.
  5. Man, that guitar demo is terrible.

Korladis likes this.
  6. keto

keto

Mar 3, 2016
    Edmonton
    Semi necro, but this pedal is *very* gnarly on bass. Tone at 9 o’clock or even slightly under, tone section OFF for the big volume and mids boost, bass rolled off on a P pickup, it’s still very angry and cutting. I’ve owned and built many Big Muffs, this is always my fave but I hadn’t tried on bass until this week. It just replaced a SGFX Imperial on my gig board.

However, if you are looking for smooth Muff, go elsewhere.

Korladis likes this.
  7. Couldn't disagree more with the guitar guy. Fuzz into dirty amps forever.

Bass dude seems to know what he's doing, though.