Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ehx P.O.G. Review!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Mar 6, 2006.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Well as soon as my pog came into my hands via canada post, I quickly ran downstairs to test this baby out...

Lower Octave:
    When I first used the sub octave, I wasn't very impressed. The sound was lifeless, sluggish and just too boomy and not very audible at all. Then I moved the LPF slider up... WOW!!! I havent ever really seen the huge point in lower octave pedals but now I do!!!! It sounds so realistic! It sounds just like I was playing 2 notes at once, not digital AT ALL in any way at all. And it tracks like an s.o.b. aswell, even down to LOW E! It gets really low and less audible but does track down to low E...even when playing fairly fast riffs! If you are looking for a suboctave pedal, skip the other crap and go straight to this! It's amazing! Never skips at all, and great for really thickening up your sound!

+1 Octave:
    The upper is also great! It has a slightly digital sound but fiddling with the LPF slider can definately fix that, although not PERFECTLY, definately close enough, especially in a mix, or with distortion. The sound kind of sounds like "superstition" by stevie wonder to me. But as soon as you use distortion with this pedal, it sings! Sounds just like a distorted guitar and not the least bit digital.

+1 Octave detuned:
    Sounds the same as the normal +1 octave but just gives a nice chorus to the sound aswell !

+2 Octaves:

Well this setting can be a bit much at times, but most of it can be masked by, you guessed it, the LPF slider (really does wonders!). It does leave a digital taste in my mouth, but really if you use it to get an organ sound (which, btw this pedal NAILS!!! ITS AMAZING!) with all the other sliders up, you really can't tell.

+2 Octaves detuned:

Same Idea.

All In All, this pedal is amazing! This sub octave sounds perfect, not the least bit digital and tracks perfectly, even on chords. The up octave is a tiny bit digital but with distortion, sounds like a real guitar. The detuned sliders add a very nice chorus. And the 2 octaves up setting does sound digital but with distotion it doesn't and when used with the other sliders to sound like an organ, you really don't hear the digital-ness of it.

It is an amazing pedal and definately worth the 400 dollar(canadian) pricetag! Only complaint I have is I think my status LED is disfunctional, but I'm sure ehx will fix it, if need be.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm!

Hope this has helped!
    ~Justin~

2. Ron Now

Ron Now

Sep 3, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Endorsing Artist: Fuzzrocious Pedals
    I use mine to thicken up my distorted sound with about 1/2 of the +1 octave, and 1/4 of the +2 and sub octaves. I feel the digitalness of the pedal in the higher octaves as well. But that LP filter really does help alot.

Hope your pedal gives you all the joy mine has given me

(as well as amazed looks from the audience when you use it)

3. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Next time anyone says bass is boring Ill just say:"how boring is this?" and whip out the pog and my jekyll and hyde;) !

4. Nice review.

Can you make your bass sound like an 8 or 12 string (octave strings), or just sounds like octave up/down?

5. great review. thanks for taking the time to do this. and very timely as mine is set to arrive today!

6. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    You definately can! Although it sounds even better when distorted:p

no problem! I would record this, but quite frankly, I have no way to record this pedal and do it any justice. Although I have a band practice tonight, so I'll let you know how well it does the main thing I bought it for (to fill in the sound due to a lack of rythm guitarist:p ). Im sure you will love your P.O.G.!!

7. sweet. i cant wait till the HOG comes out. its like POG+microsynth+added shizz= me flipping out over it.

8. mine did arrive yesterday! i only had about an hour and a half to mess with it. my first impressions are much like you have already said. with my p-bass i'm real impressed with the suboctave for sure. sounds fantastic. and the organ sounds are amazing. also tried with my sg guitar. i think this pedal will take some tweaking but i love doing that sort of thing. though i mainly bought it for use with my acoustic and electric guitars i have a feeling it's going to get a lot more use with the bass.

9. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Glad your enjoying it!

The pedal is amazing, and the people at ehx are very helpful aswell.

Last night, before we started playing, I told my guitarist to say hello to the newest addition to the band... Well at first he was skeptical of it sounding like a second guitarist mimicing what I play, but after our first song, he said : " WOW! That almost fooled me into thinking there was another guitarist!" So there you have it. Sadly I may have to ship it back to get fixed...:(

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Glad your enjoying it!

The pedal is amazing, and the people at ehx are very helpful aswell.

Last night, before we started playing, I told my guitarist to say hello to the newest addition to the band... Well at first he was skeptical of it sounding like a second guitarist mimicing what I play, but after our first song, he said : " WOW! That almost fooled me into thinking there was another guitarist!" So there you have it.