1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Pedals Break Down Faster? Quality Issues?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by echosynth, Apr 8, 2018.

1. echosynth

echosynth

Oct 3, 2017
    I'm currently exploring reverb pedals and my first choice is the EHX Holy Grail Plus, because it's analog, has a room reverb mode, and a simple control interface. I use Pedal Genie to rent and test out potential pedals before buying them. After googling reviews on the EHX Holy Grail Plus, customers complained that the pedal (and the EHX brand as a whole) breaks down quickly.

I rented the EHX Stereo Polychorus a while ago and had an issue with one of the effects on it. That was the EHX pedal I tested out so far.

For anyone who owns EHX pedals, especially the Holy Grail Reverb Line, I want to know if there's anyone who experience issues with their pedals?

My alternatives are the MXR M300 Reverb, TC Electronic Hall of Fame 2, and the T-Rex Room-Mate.

2. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    I've heard the same thing too, but in all honesty I've been playing EH pedals since 1986 and have never had an issue. My modern EH pedals consist of a Green Russian resissue, a Bass Clone and a Hot Wax. All perfect with absolutely nothing wrong. I think this EH/Quality control issue is more a myth than reality. But as always, others MMV.

XrisThaBassman and GCPENG like this.
  3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    With the vast number of pedals they produce it is inevitable that a few lemons will get through, but this applies to any manufacturer.
    I have EHX pedals from the 1970's up through the recent models and I have not had a single problem with any of them.

Korladis likes this.
  4. I got 2 of the EHX nano pedals. I swapped the cheap knobs and the whole pot broke... in both pedals!
    I no longer have EHX pedals.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    Veldar likes this.
  5. I’ve been using EHX pedals for years and got quite a few, some of which are the older bigger pedals. I like that brand, but I most admit that my recent experience is less satisfactory in terms of quality. My Bass Clone was received with a crooked footswitch : I had to unscrew the switch and put it back in place myself. Then, my 2 year old Bass Soul Food, which I used lightly, stopped working properly (big peaking sound, even in the clean side of the pedal’s blend). The problem with the Soul Food might have been caused by powering issues though...

I’m not saying that I won’t use or buy other EHX pedals, but, well, things seem to start happening (or I had bad luck).

I still love the pedals I have and would recommend them, but...

Either way my old EHX pedals are all good and some are 15 years old.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  6. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88

Sep 16, 2013
    Whitby
    I've had many EHX pedals over the years including the Holy Grail and aside from the various voltages and the occasional odd power supply you get they've been as reliable as anything else.
    I wouldn't judge a brand based on a rented pedal - especially a rental pedal - nor judge a brand based on a failed kitchen table mod.

Sunset Shalom and Korladis like this.
  7. I've got a Holy Grail Nano that just stopped working recently. I rarely used it, but it was working fine a little over a month ago, but the other day I plug it in and the footswitch just cuts the signal and the LED doesn't turn on. It's not the power supply - I've tested the same EHX adapter on other pedals and it still works with those pedals.

8. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    My Black Finger is solid, but it's an old school style giant metal box variety, not Nano.

9. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Nobody makes a Super Ego but EXH, and nobody made the Dr. Q and small stone and original Clone Theory but them, they were my 1st effects in the late 70s. Some of them have been wonky and fail after lots of use, but most not. More compact housings seem to be stronger. But I'd strongly prefer the Hall Of Fame II as the best reverb on your list because of the toneprint spaces and the fun new footswitch expression presets...hold the switch and it goes zoom. In reverbs the toneprint concept is useful, it's like you have access to the parameters.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  10. The Bass Soul Food I got a while back had a really bad popping noise whenever you engaged it, regardless of how many pedals were in the chain, using a daisy chain or dedicated power, or using a different outlet. My Green Russian on the other hand has had no such problems, and the Bass Big Muff I used to have worked just fine until I sold it. So I think it just depends on the model and who was working that day.

Roland GR 88 likes this.
  11. I haven’t kept an Ehx pedal long enough for one to break so I can’t really complain but I have heard Some complaints about the sliders on the micro synth pedals breaking over the years.

I did want to point out that i seriously doubt that pedal is analog. Reverb tends to be an effect that is always digital. Unlike basically all other effects which can be analog or digital. A quick search and I found this.
    6EB5C7F2-D4EA-4C86-9C16-6CDD48E08788.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Sunset Shalom likes this.
  12. I've had BOSS pedals go bad.

I've had a MARKBASS pedal go bad.

I've had an Aguilar pedal go bad.

I haven't had an EHX pedal go bad.

So yes, in conclusion, EHX pedals are the worst.

13. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I've had some EHX pedals in the past and all of them showed problems. Loud switch pops, bad grounding (or no grounding at all), defective pots, defective jacks. After my last bad experience with a nano small clone I decided to not buy anything from them.
    Let's be honest... quality has always been a problem with them. I don't like EHX and avoid their stuff.

14. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I have had an Electric Mistress on my board for about 5 years without a problem. I don't thrash my pedals, but I don't intentionally baby them either. So far so good.
    To be fair, I've only ever had one pedal fail on me.

15. CunniMingus

CunniMingus

Jan 5, 2018
    Rome, Italy
    I treat my pedals very well, like I do with my rest of my gear. The problem is EHX quality control and before all, cheap components/knobs etc.

16. I've had a POG2 and Hum Debugger for the last 5-6 yrs with no issue. I purchased a Bassballs in '78, used it for a few years then mothballed it until selling it in '98 in perfect working order.

17. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Here's the thing. Some people have EHX pedals that are 30 plus years old and they hold up like a tank. Others have new ones and they break. I'm sure EHX has had to reduce quality in parts somewhat to continue to offer low pricing (which they do if you look at a lot of companies) as well and stay afloat in the this super competitive industry. I've NEVER had a pedal break like that. Pots shouldn't just snap. That means, the pot was defective from the get go or something else happened along the way.

If you take care of your pedals, they will for the most part be fine. If you gig them hard, sure they will break at some point. That happens to everything in that type of situation.

Roland GR 88 likes this.
  18. Korladis

Korladis Banned Supporting Member

They're not a boutique builder, so don't expect that kind of quality out of them.

I haven't had any problems with any of my EHX pedals. Currently I have the Ravish Sitar on my big board and the Green Russian reissue on my small board. I used to have a used Memory Toy and Holy Grail Nano on my big board, but I replaced both of them with a Hungry Robot "The Wash" (for tap tempo and so that I could get delay and reverb with one button instead of two).

The only pedals that have gone south on me were a Danelectro Fabtone and a Digitech Digiverb. I replaced the latter with the Holy Grail Nano for a while.

19. I got a new Bass Microsynth cheap, as-is in non-working order, confident that it was a bad stomp switch. Now it has a good stomp switch and I got a steal. The better switches are reasonable, and easy enough to replace. I had a Small Stone switch go bad maybe 10 years ago, same easy replacement. The BMS sliders can be maintained with Caig Faderlube, and pots cleaned with Caig Deoxit.

Things are only broken until we fix them. ;)

Korladis likes this.
  20. symbolic_acts

symbolic_acts

May 24, 2004
    speaking of EHX...anyone have experience with the Superego Plus?

I'm gassing for that + expression pedal so hard...the onboard effects seem honestly pretty good by themselves and the ambient stuff you can make with the freeze just seems like endless fun for me. + its definitely a good practice tool

barely any youtube demos of it on bass though so i was looking for some opinions