1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Pitch fork

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rollin Thunder, Aug 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    Just purchased one of these, used it last night and could not get to grips with it, so looked up the instructions and had a good read (do any of us do this with a new pedal) think i get it know.

wondering if anyone else has one of these and has any tips for good settings. not looking for anything particular just some cool sounds, mainly going octaves up and some chorus fuzz/distortion. also will be using it on guitar so any tips on that aswell. both up and down on this.

advise appreciated. other brands doing similar setting and ideas appreciated.

2. I have and use the pitchfork. I really just use the octaves for some differant sounds. Not often with bands for recording or at shows but when I play around for fun I like it. Mostly I use the octave up for fun as a guitar or keyboard like sound over looped bass parts. I find the suboctave to sound pretty weak compared to a lot of a rave pedals and don't love the pitchfork tone unless I tweak the tone with other pedals. The latch switch is very useful and I like the expression glissando feature. One setting you might like is turning the blend all the way up and just having wet signal while running both octaves 1up and 1down or 2up which does 1down. With some dirt or other effects you can do some cool synths stuff.

Here's some pitch fork samples over bass loops where I use it just pitched up octave(s) and no dry signal.

back4more likes this.
  3. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    great stuff i'l be having a play around with those settings later. thats the type of thing i'am looking for.

Roy Royerson likes this.
  4. As far as pedals I've tried for the size and price you can't beat the pitchfork if you want more than just octave up and down. It's a lot of cool features in a little pedal but I'm not completely pleased with it if I'm honest. I'm still hoping to find something similar that has a warmer and less metallic kind of tone but I'm not sure that exists in a small package. I just never am completely happy with the EHX octave sounds.

I do play some guitar and my mexi start sounds fine with the pitchfork but I never have much use for octavaters when I play guitar. I used to play with a guitarist who had one and with his vintage Gibson ES335 he did get some good sounds out of the octaves and occasionally the other harmonies it offers. If I can find a recording where he used it I'll post it for you.

5. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    DFW, TX
    It is a pretty simple little box, there aren't a whole ton of settings to it. Set your interval and your blend knob and go. The only thing I kinda wish it had, was the ability to set individual volumes for each octave like on the Micro Pog... but I guess I have a Micro Pog for that, though the PitchFork seems to play better with other pedals than my Micro Pog does which is why the Pitchfork is usually on my board.

I usually use mine to get kind of a synthy type sound. Works pretty well into modulation or in to a fuzz pedal. The latch button is kinda cool to get the old Whammy shifting type sounds as well. I've also used it in a pinch if I'm doing something where I realize I should have brought a 5 string, but I only have a 4 with me, basically set it to shift all my strings down. It works in a pinch, but like Roy said it can make your bass sound a little wonky sometimes. However, it does seem to track really well and isn't super glitchy like some of the older generation pedals.

Roy Royerson likes this.