Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EHX repair?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by embellisher, May 30, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Well, my Black Finger has bit the dust.

A couple of months after I bought it, it started crackling from time to time, and then the footswitch stopped working. I assumed that the crackling was related to the bad footswitch, because it crackled when I clicked it.

I put the pedal in a loop by itself on my loooper, and just left it on all of the time. As long as I didn't mess with the footswitch, it worked fine, so I just turned it on and off by using the Loooper to bypass it.

At yesterdays gig, it started crackling pretty much all of the time, so I turned it off using the footswitch instead of bypassing the loop. I tried to use it on a couple of songs, but it was so noisy that I gave it up.

Today, I pulled out my pedalboard, hooked it up, and the Black Finger is totally dead. No power.:(

Could a bad footswitch cause this, or did I ruin the pedal by using it with a faulty switch?

Who repairs these things? How much can I expect to pay for a repair?

Thanks. I have ordered a Demeter Compulator to tide me over, but the BF is so cool and funky, I want to get it fixed and keep it, unless it costs almost as much as a new one.

2. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Maybe a faulty tube?

3. embellisher

I would think that if a tube were bad, that it would still power up. None of the LEDs light up or anything.

4. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hmm, have you tried opening it and briefly checking for loose wires or broken solder joints? Maybe it's just the power input that's gone bad? But that shouldn't explain the crackling.

I had problems with crackling and noise in my Marshall, due to a dry cap in the power section.

Good luck! :)
    -Erlend

5. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Did you buy it new and regisister it w/ EHX? it might still be under warranty..

That does sound like you have a faulty switch. Likely you haven't ruined the pedal, just a spot or 2 of cold solder that crystallized and is making intermitten contact.

6. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    Hi,
    I just had my Q-Tron+ reparied by former EH chief design engineer Howard Davis

he's your man...give him a shout :bassist:

7. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    To begin with, open it, and check basically, as allready said. It may be pretty simple.

If it's more complicated, I don't know. There are many ways to repair pedals.

You can post at http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum to find someone near you who could have a more knowledgeable (does this word exists ??? If not, what is the right word ?) look.

If you're closed to Lyon, France, I can do this for you ! :D

8. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    is the glass part of the tubes touching the enclosure/box? perhaps when you step on the box it was flexing the entire case enough to budge the tubes around causing the crackling, then eventual failure.

just a thought.

my black finger gets hissy after it has been on for awhile. i can turn it off then back on and the hiss goes away, but comes back in a few minutes. i placed a BiComprosser on order but like you, i really like my black finger.

9. embellisher

Nope. Back when the unit first started crackling, I checked the tubes and they were not touching the enclosure. And I checked them Sunday when the crackling came back.

I wouldn't mind some hiss, but mine never hissed except for extreme settings.

Does anybody know if a bad switch will keep the unit from powering up at all?

10. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Why not. Some advanced switches cut the power supply, but it's quite rare, though.

But it can, maybe, keep the led from lightning and the sound from passing through, which can make you believe the unit isn't powered.

Some basics tests would be more instructive. Do you own a multimeter ? If yes, check inside if the power points are powered, if the switch is really broken or not, and so on. If you don't have one, well, buy one !! It would cost about 20 dollars and it's allways usefull, for us who use electricity everywhere, for music.