EHX Small Stone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by KB, Mar 24, 2001.

1. Electro-Harmonix Small Stone (original)

9 vote(s)
  2. Electro-Harmonix (Sovtech) Small Stone (re-issue)

8 vote(s)
  3. MXR phase 90

3 vote(s)
  4. Boss

1 vote(s)
  5. DOD

0 vote(s)
  6. Other - indicate in post

2 vote(s)
  7. Don't use a phaser

8 vote(s)
  1. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Anyone here use the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone phaser? I just borrowed an original 1978 small stone from my guitarist and I realy love the sound (very whirly and thick). I heard a bunch a negative reviews about the re-issues (poor constuction), so I just won the bid on Ebay for an original 1977 model (a little beat up but the seller claims it still sunds great). Can't wait to get it. Hope it works and sounds as good as my guitarist's.
    Let me know your opinoins on this pedal.

2. my guitarist uses it and it sounds, well, different. cool but different.
  3. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I had both a Small Stone and a Big Muff reissue. They were the big green early Sovteks and while they sounded great the build quality was terrible. The footswitch on the Big Muff broke within days and the light on the Small Stone went out within a week. Also you could hear the phase filter sweeping and clicking even when the effect was turned off! I returned them and later got a Russian Big Muff and BassBalls, both in the black cases. They are better built but still pretty flimsy compared to Boss pedals.
    Aside from that, I love the extremeness of the Small Stone--it's perfect for really trippy, woozy textures. I think phasers are underappreciated by bass players. Brian Eno has used them on bass (particularly on Another Green World) to great effect.
  4. I fixed an original 70's Small Stone phaser for the guitarist in the band I was in (the rate pot is mounted direct to the circuit board and the solder joint can come loose easily), but wasn't really impressed when I tried it with my bass- too much of the frequency range gets affected for my liking.
    I prefer the flanging setting on my Zoom 506 (yeah, it is noisy though).
  5. I once had the pleasure of playing an original Small Stone and one of the big black reissues.

The black reissue was horrible. It was noisey and did not seem useable at all to me.

The original sounded pretty sweet. It was also dead quiet.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anyone else have the problem of a super loud thump when you switch it on and off? Can I fix this or do I have to send it to them? I have some exp. with electronics, but I'm no McGuyver. -B
  7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I don't like the sound of phase shifters on bass, too thin. I prefer using chorus or flange.

Best phaser for bass I ever heard was a the Mutron Phasor II (actually owned one for a while) because with the feedback control I could get it to sound more like a flanger than most other phasers. Too bad they are now considered "vintage" and go for big bucks, I paid $20 for mine used because at the time a $70 chorus pedal was out of my budget.