1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Steel Leather = Instant Steve Harris!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 4StringsEnough, Aug 29, 2008.

1. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Just got me a Steel Leather. Didn't really know what to expect but it's great! I wouldn't want to use it all the time but for metal it's awesome! It really gives you that Steve Harris click! Ra-ta-ta-ta, ra-ta-ta-ta!

It's been described as the opposite of a compressor. As my compressor is always on I was worried that one would cancel the other out. But I found the Steel Leather sounded better with it. It tamed the effect a bit (which I guess it would). I suppose it'd work as long as they're not set the same if you see what I mean...

Worth a try! :bassist:

2. Nappa

Nappa

Dec 20, 2006
    Fargo,North Dakota
    I have one. Though I don't have a compressor. Maybe that is why it is useless for me at this time.

3. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i love this pedal - i can get harris-in-a-can, pick esque click, or just a touch extra top end when i dig in.
    i really think this pedal is sooooooo underrated!

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While a compressor does "undo" some of what the Steel Leather does, the SL only acts on a certain frequency range. So in effect running the two of them together is more of a dynamic EQ, dynamically turning down the level of the frequencies outside the SL's range of effect. At least that's how I think it would go.

5. This pedal will help me "cut" through better in the mix by focusing on certain high frequencies and "expanding" them?
    Would it make finger style sound closer to playing with a pick? I couldn't tell because the guy in the video on EHX's site was just slapping the entire time.:rollno:

6. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    Steve Harris in a box,... thanks for the GAS. :atoz:

Serious, thanks for the tip. :)
    Might check it out if I have the chance.

Btw: Steve Harris, or his sound engineer, uses a touch of compression on his sound. (Heard that on this forum, sooo... :ninja:)
    Maybe that's what you stumbled upon.

It would be nice if a manufacturer made a pedal named "Steve's Fingers".
    I'd buy it.

7. hey, i've got my Second steel leather (sold my first coz i hated it), to the naysayers - it works best in a band situation, altho I havent actually tried it in the band yet (it'll only run of its own 9v power supply, not a daisy chain, and my gui**** always needs my 9v power supply coz he's too cheap to get his own).

It SHOULD be called 'Steve Harris's Fingers' - god forbid mr. Harris should try one of these, with Roundwound strings (Steve's a flatwound player)

I actually run mine into my VTbass (usually i run everything after it) to sort of up the dynamic response of the VT. Also my only niggle is that I pretty much have to set the Response almost as low as it'll go otherwise it becomes a bit overpowering - and this is with Volume a 9 o'clock. And I use a BBE optostomp at the end of my chain for a little compression.

If you need to cut through a heavy mix, this is for you, but it can sound pretty horrible on its own.

8. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Yes, it does this better than you'd ever think a pedal could.

9. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    sounds like you'd just have to boost certain high frequencies to get that effect and in fact, this is what steve does.

10. cant say ive seen much about the steel leather- nor read about it. where in your signal chain do you put it and what does it sound good/interesting/weird with?

i ask because i use an eq pedal first for what sound like similar reasons. if i could make my thumb nail sound like a pick- that could be quite useful- get more articulation from very fast/soft techniques.

11. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    It's more than an EQ as it's a dynamic effect - it changes with how hard/loud you play which gives you a lot more control than an EQ in my opinion.