EHX Tri Parallel Mixer

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by smittybass33, Jul 3, 2019.

1. RissKippery likes this.
  2. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    It looks awesome, although large compared to other parallel loopers. I like the options for control over send/return volumes. Looks like a great tool. Lots of functions.

And that price is very impressive.

3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Been looking at this lately, looks sort of like a mix between the Klien Bottle and Blender V3:

fsdrgob4nm8qw0c7u3jb.jpg
    vfe-pedals-klein-bottle-266507.png

adi20hz likes this.
  4. Yes, but the EHX will probably be considerably cheaper than these two.

I always have the same critique for these kind of pedals: Why is there no bloody way to adjust the sound of the clean signal? When blending with distortion for instance, I don't need anything above 500 Hz of the clean signal (frequency depending on what I want).

sporad, Fuzzonaut and RissKippery like this.
  5. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    This is something only a few pedal builders are utilizing and usually only do so for Bass focused pedals. Sadly.

6. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph Supporting Member

Quite the interesting mixer. I've been using a Saturnworks bass dedicated 3 channel mixer (dry + 2 loops, each with their own volume control) for a couple of years and love it. Less features, but great sound and smaller footprint (high left corner)

IMG_E1109.JPG

ckuhn and adi20hz like this.
  7. RissKippery

RissKippery

Mar 3, 2016
    I’ve been on the market for a parallel mixer for some time now and until the EHX one came along, I was 99% sure a Saturnworks mixer would be the one for me. The EHX has 3 loops, more control, different modes and is a lower price than the Saturnworks double parallel looper with clean blend I was looking at. Hmmmm...

Bassmike62 likes this.
  8. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Expected street price is $140

RissKippery likes this.
  9. I think Ehx is filling a void between the large pedal builders and the smaller ones. They're coming out with some things like this as players have looked to smaller builders to make exactly what they needed and figured out how to fill that niche on the larger market. Seems like a more cost effective mix/blender with control over multiple loops. I love my Xotic XBlender but sometimes pine for more specific loops that something like this could offer.

40Hz and RissKippery like this.
  10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I think it’s especially cool in that it’s for parallel effect looping which is an area that I think is under explored because (quite frankly) running parallel effects can be a royal PITA.

So this looks to be an easy gateway for branching from serial effects chains into multiple parallel effects chains without having to get involved with separate splitters, mixers, and (sometimes) phase inverters, etc.

AlvarHanso and smittybass33 like this.
  11. Albino RyNo

Albino RyNo

Jan 20, 2016
    Anyone had a chance to use a Tri Parallel Mixer yet? It looks like it has everything I'm looking for in a parallel mixer other than the ability to mix clean signal in on a per channel basis instead of just a master clean blend. That way I could blend in some clean on my overdrive channel but leave it out of my suboctave channel, etc, etc. Also, like @aledeville said, having a tone control or LPF on the clean would be a huge plus. I also worry about EHX's pedal reliability. I say that having never owned an EHX pedal myself but I've heard plenty of horror stories. Also, if it's buffered bypass as I suspect it is, I worry at this price point about the quality of the buffers and what that might do to my clean bypassed sound.

12. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I'm using one. I've got one channel routing through my Marshall Guv'nor 2, and another running through an Ashdown triple-shot.

As such, the Ashdown is much more appealing as a drive/distortion goes for bass... but I could never have used it solo, because there is no final level out on it, which it really needs. It really gets hot, and nearly impossible to tame down, and get good distortion at the same time. The return level on the tri-parallel tames it nicely.

13. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    ...the only thing it doesn't have that I wish it did is a true bypass.

14. Road Hat

Road Hat Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2008
    CA
    I just re-did my entire board based on this pedal. in tests, it's everything I've ever wanted from a mixer pedal. First time tonight with the band, I'm interested to see how it works in a live/loud setting.

bass board 2020.jpg

adi20hz, detracti and AlvarHanso like this.
  15. WasabiChicken

WasabiChicken

Jan 30, 2020
    Sweden
    Question to you owners; how do you like the EQ knob(s)? A single knob adjusting between "more bass" and "more treble" sounds a bit... well, simple, to my ears? Would you agree, or have it not turned out to be an issue in practice?

16. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    The pedals that you're looping in have so much adjustability on their own, that the function of that knob ends up being to do a little coloration, to even things out.

WasabiChicken likes this.
  17. SirTarquin

SirTarquin

Jul 28, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Question to any of the owners for this box. Are there any noticeable volume changes when going from one loop to two, or two to three, or vice versa? I'm currently using a Saturnworks 4 Loop Parallel Blender to achieve this same thing, but if I have all knobs set at noon, if I go from bypass to just one loop selected the volume will drop to 1/4 of its original signal and will increase by just another 1/4 for each loop selected. If I have them all dialed to max, then one loop will be at unity, but if I turn any of the others on it will increase by x2/3/4 depending on how many I have selected. What I am wanting is something that gives me unity volume when when only one loop is selected and then automatically adjusts itself and stays at unity volume when two loops are selected, and then the same again with three. I was wondering if the Tri Parallel Mixer would do this. It might be worth looking into as a replacement if it does. The fact it has a master volume setting gives me hope.

I hope that made since. This has been a concept that I've had a hard time finding the right words to explain to people.

18. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    That's a tall order. I'd think any unit capable of that would probably need to be digital, but that's just a guess. I see the Klien Bottle has some kind of 6-12db switches. With the Boss LS2 and the EHX Switchblade Pro there should only be a slight volume jump if a 2nd loop is activated. You should be able to achieve unity with one, but when you're doubling the signal coming thru,
    it's going to output slightly more. What I do with my SBpro when I want to run in parallel is set both volumes to about 1/4 below unity (and the dry to taste.)

Speaking of a dedicated dry and the EHX SBpro, I've been really really happy with it... It does so much more than an LS2, but (I'm guessing) not quite as much as these mixers, which I've been curious about.

EHX SWBLADEPRO-Large.jpg

Are you posters above still happy with your respective units? Do they do switchable series modes (loopsA->B, B->A, C->B, B->A->C, etc) as well as mixing them in parallel like the SBpro, which has a smaller footprint??

SBpro :thumbsup:
    SBpro has true mechanical bypass when neither loops are engaged

EHX.com | Switchblade Pro - Deluxe Switcher | Electro-Harmonix

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Nunovsky likes this.
  19. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

True bypass is a bad idea when it comes to mixing. It creates feedback from outputs to inputs and differences in impedance badly deteriorate the signal.

jdc866 likes this.
  20. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol

What this pedal does is very useful. I use a WOunded Paw Blender to do much the same.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021