1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHX Worm - Any Good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bhass, Apr 15, 2009.

1. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    I've been looking at many effects to add to my board, however I saw the EHX worm which has 3 of the effects I have been planning to buy individually. If the Worm is any good then I will definitely be able to save some cash (I'm poor).

I've searched TB, Google, Youtube, Putfile etc etc and haven't found anything about the EHX Worm on the bass. What I'm after was tremolo, phaser and vibrato. This can supposedly do it all!

Opinions?

2. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    There was a review over on Basschat when the pedal came out.

3. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Will ANY expression pedal work with the Worm?

4. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    Any more reviews or soundclips?

5. I tried one for a few minutes at my local retailer, and I liked it quite a bit. All of the functions are a little limited, but they all sound pretty good and are very quiet with the setup I used.

I was having trouble hearing the expression mode work very well, but that may have been me expecting amazingness when I should have been expecting nuanceness.

It's on my second tier GAS list. If I find one cheap I'll get it, but I'm not going out of my way to pick it up.

Phaser= good but not great, not really thick, but not bad

Trem= good, fair rate range but only one wave shape.

Vibe= same as trem. without this it is not on my GAS list.

Wah= neat sounds. don't know if I'd use it anywhere but recording or home.

Hope this helps.

6. I bought one, then took it back. My bass made it fart, or overdrive in an unpleasant manner.

I tune to low B and have a SD Quarter Pound pickup. A standard four string with low pickup output may be fine. I didn't take it apart and look for a trim pot though. I was afraid if I scratched the paint they wouldn't take it back.

Other wise it sounded great and the design is really neat. I use all EHX, so I wanted to like it.

7. MetroBass

MetroBass

Mar 26, 2008
    South of LA
    Hatred obscures all distinctions.

8. I have one, the old sheet metal one, and I love it, its probably not the best of any of the four effects, but it's definitely worth it if you can't afford to buy the effects seperately.

The wah saps all the bass when you turn it up to full, but its good around 12 o'clock, its probably one of the better wah sounds I've heard, and the manual switch lets you stop the wah at any frequency, its pretty good.

The phaser is my most used setting, I just like it, again you can use the manual switch to freeze the sweep and get some good tones.

The trem is good, but not as harsh as I'd like it to be, but turn it up to full sweep and it'll really get the subs going on your amp.

The vibrato, eh, its okay.

Edit- after reading that review I really wish I had got the new model, an expression pedal would make the Worm awesome.

9. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Moose- I've heard that there are quite a few good mods available for the Big Worm, including expression input for at least the sweep.

10. I'll have to look into it, it would have been good to know before I just bough that new wah though :p

11. bhass

bhass

Oct 21, 2008
    England, UK
    So the overall verdict is "ok"?
    I plan on adding a Moog expression pedal to it. I'll keep thinking of buying one though, nothing has really excited me about it.