1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EHX Zipper...not the Tube Zipper, but the vintage Zipper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Mar 29, 2015.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    [​IMG]

This one. Was remembering it fondly tonight. I haven't had a Zipper since it got stolen in 1979, but I remember the day I bought it vividly. I was 17 and wanted a cool pedal for bass, so I tried the Mu-Tron, the MXR, and the Zipper, and liked the MXR but liked the Zipper the most. Did not particularly care for the Mu-Tron, quite honestly. I like it when Bootsy uses it, but I didn't dig it. But I loved that Zipper and still haven't found an EF I like better to this day. Or maybe I have and I just didn't know it...1979 was quite a few years ago ;)

In searching about it, I came across a sale thread on here that said it was the same basic circuit as the Mu-Tron III. Now I couldn't tell you why I had such a strong preference for the Zipper, but I just heard a demo of one that grygyx from bassfuzz.com did a couple years and it all came rushing back to me. But I haven't touched either one in years, and the closest I've got to a Mu-Tron in recent memory then is the Ibanez AF-9, which did sound like how I remembered the Mu-Tron.

So if you're more recently familiar with both than I am (I'm hoping at least a couple folks have/had both), how similar are they? And why might I have had a strong preference for one or the other? Wish I could just go buy one of each and sit with them for a few days but that ain't gonna happen till I hit Lotto ;) And I'm not about to try and add a pedal the size of the original Zipper to my pedalboard. Would not mind a clone in a 1590b, though. Do they exist? I haven't seen them if they do.