1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

EHXBass Micro Synth Help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ctbass, Jan 8, 2012.

1. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    Just got this pedal. I am playing a Sadowsky Metro 5 and cannot for the life of me get a clean signal out of this box. Watched Ed Friedland's review/demo on Youtube where he shows the settings for a clean slap tone. Mine is a dstorted mess that sounds nothing like a cool envelope slap tone.

Is it possible the output on the bass is too hot. Every setting is overdriven...no square wave, trigger and guitar settings adjusted.

Thanks for any help.

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yes.

Try putting the bass into passive mode...or turn down the volume a little.

3. Skrogh

Skrogh

Jan 28, 2010
    Denmark
    Active bass? Output might be too hot. Try turning the volume of your bass down, if this helps, there is a more permanent solution: The Micro Synth has an internal gain-trimmer, open up the box and adjust till clipping is gone. :)

4. It may sound obvious, but make sure you are have the square wave down (to zero if you want clean).

Also, if you are playing your amp at higher volume levels, watch out for sending too much low end - cranking up the suboctave at higher volumes can overload your speakers, so you might be getting distortion from that.

The microsynth takes some experimentation to get to what you want, so don't get discouraged if it is a bit difficult to start with.

5. Not sure if you have the older sheet metal BMS or the newer one, but the input gain trimpot is very important for getting it to respond correctly for your bass. On the older one, there is a small hole where you can access the trimpot without opening the box. I think the newer one, you actually need to open it up. But regardless, it's possible that is the issue. Also, as someone else said, pull the square wave and octave up sliders all the way down, as they both introduce some distortion.

6. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    THanks guys. Looks like the trim pot is the key. Appreciate your help.

7. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
    I have a Metro 5 and the preamp overloads pretty much every pedal I've got! I have to back the volume of to 70% to keep my signal chain clean, even with a 10dB pad on the first pedal. Impressive for a 9v preamp...

With the BMS, I'd take 'clean' with a pinch of salt - it's always a bit clangy and fuzzy, even with the trim pot adjusted. And there's no true bypass, so it always sounds a bit nasty. I use mine with a blend pedal to switch in/out and blend with my clean tone.

8. ctbass

ctbass

Jun 21, 2005
    Colorado
    THanks man! You're right..with any pedal that is sensitive to input, it is like jumping in a driving a ferrari 100 miles an hour for the first time. (difficult to control at first).

I did adjust the gain...and it got a little better, but now the volume is so much lower than the clean signal, I don't see how I can use it. I have a Fulltone Bass Drive, an MXR Octave, and MXR Envelope filter. Combining these gives me some cool sounds. Not the the "synth" sounds so much, But I am getting bummed on the BMS after looking forward to it so much. :meh:

9. pulse

pulse

Apr 10, 2007
    Berlin, Germany
    Try a gain pedal in front of the BMS that way you keep the true tone of your bass dimed, and can drop the global volume of your chain before it reaches the BMS,

That's my work around to not get the cruddy clip sound

Best
    J

10. Gaetano Paul

Gaetano Paul

Nov 25, 2009
    Sarasota, FL
    Hope you get it figured out.

11. ArturoOsito

ArturoOsito

Aug 21, 2012
    I feel your pain, man. I just got a BMS and it's really difficult to get it to be useful in a band context. Most settings seem to either be A) inaudible or B) muddy garbage. I guess the only way to get a good synth bass sound is to play bass on a synth...