Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ei tubes + IOD = HAPPY JASON!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Jan 29, 2002.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i got my pair of Ei EL84's and my Ei 12ax7 today in the mail, and i just threw em in, biased 'em, and fired the rig up.

holy mother of larry!

these tubes make the IOD 10X better than it already was! (i was running GT EL84's and a sovtek 12ax7 - sounded great but not this mindblowingly incredible)

this was just the icing on the cake that is my current rig. like modulus says "the sound that is in my head is in my rig." i need NOTHING else ampwise. no eq, no crossover, no effects, nothin. i sound exactly like i want to now. my big rig.....is DONE.

wow...that feels good to say. if only i could get that sound in somethign that could fit in my gigbag and put out 300 watts :) my small rig would be done as well.

oh well...now on to GAS about a fretless warwick and a clarus head.

jason

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Hey Jason, have you had the opportunity to compare the Ei tubes to , say, the JJ/Tesla tubes?? I'm also thinking of replacing My GT's with something nicer.

IOD's pretty smooth man!

3. Where did you buy
    What did you pay

4. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    bought at lord valve - for the whole set plus shipping and insurance it ended up costing 36 bucks. not bad for such a huge increase in tone. i'd almost compare it to new strings, but in a different way...(and that's cheaper than a new set of strings for my warwick!)

you should all just come over to my place and hear it for yourself :D

jason

5. Too much snow...

Too far to walk from Sacramento.

Did you get the bias document I sent you?

6. Thanks for the review! According to both LV and a couple of other sources these are great tubes IF you get the one's hand selected for low microphonics. The Tubestore called them the best AND worst 12ax7 they tested. ( http://thetubestore.com/12ax7review.html ) For the price, certainly worth a try.

7. I have a bunch of new 12AX7 types, so I ordered up a matched pair of Tesla EL84 from Lord Valve. When the replacement Standby switch arrives from SWR, I'll pop in the new tubes and bias 'em with a lower plate voltage to see if they grind up easier.

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

actually, we've got just as much snow on the ground right now as you probably do - none. that could change tonite though.

that bias document was great, i used it when i rebiased. i tried to bias mine with a really high plate voltage so i'd get more headroom with less crunch, but it really sucks all the current out of it - so i did a compromise.

jason

9. shakey_slim

shakey_slim

Jan 3, 2001
    Spokanistan
    Can't comment on the Ei's, but I just loaded JJ/Tesla EL-34's into my MM HD130 and man! What a difference! Replaced the Sovtek tubes and now the low end is tighter, the mids are warmer, and the highs aren't as bright/brittle as before.

I would definitely recommend replacing your GT's with JJ's, Ei's or Svetlana's. Probably won't be a night and day difference, but you'll hear it where it counts.

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    bgavin, is this bias document you mention specific to the IOD, or a general biasing tip sheet?? In either case, could I get a copy? Pretty please?

11. I compared the IOD to my Mesa M-2000 preamp and found it to be less "deep" sounding and more "focussed." I remember when I changed the 6L6's in my 400+ with 6550's. I heard a sound with far more depth and clarity than I would have imagined...huge. Could replacing the GT EL84's in my SWR IOD get me a similar result? My current sound just isn't that, well....large?

12. Tapp

Tapp

Aug 29, 2001
    USA, Mississippi
    Mad Subwoofer, comparing the Mesa 400 with the IOD is unfair because we're still dealing with the preamp stages for the IOD. With the Mesa you changed the tubes that generate your power and the change from 6L6's to 6550's is a big one. BTW, did you check with Mesa before you did this change. 6550's draw much more heater current and well as plate current. Your trannies can only take so much.

I would say as far as the IOD goes, tube changes seem to make a difference in this pre so let your ears decide for you. If you mate the IOD with a good amp, it should kick some serious low end with that active tone circuit.

Tapp

13. I was comparing the preamp of my M-2000 and the IOD. I plugged the SWR into the FX return, directly into the power amp section of the M-2000. I noticed it didn't have the depth of the Mesa preamp. When I swapped for the (maufacturers recommended) 6550's in my 400+ I noticed a big change in "depth." I am just wondering how much more "depth" I would get by swapping the any of the tubes in my IOD?

[​IMG]

14. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    well...even with the GT tubes i thought it sounded quite deep, but the Ei's definitely make it sound more so. I'd play around - but i'd certainly recommend trying an all Ei setup first.

i can't wait to get a raven labs MDB-1 so i can actually have some input gain control - maybe getting that preamp tube workin a little harder will make it even FATTER! :D

jason

15. Nope. We had snow in Sacramento yesterday. And a good amount of it, too.

You and TAPP were the brains behind the bias document. All I did was transcribe it into a Word doc and make it readable. Notice the actual trim pot adjustment is missing from the document. A true Beta document... When I get my pair of EL84 and Standby switch, I'll take photos of the procedure and include them in the document.

The bias document and everything else is on my site. Hit the link in my signature and follow the reference link to MUSIC\SWR.

I got an email from Adrian at SWR, and my Standby switch is in the mail.