1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eight string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by God_of_bass, Nov 18, 2001.

1. sorry but i need to know. how is an eight string bass tuned? is irt tuned in intervals of 2 or what? thank you

2. Sten

Sten

Nov 18, 2001
    Estonia
    my guess would be
    F
    C
    G
    D
    A
    E
    B
    F#

3. LWatford

LWatford

Jul 28, 2001
    Helena, AL
    Some 8 strings have double courses with regular bass strings and octave strings, like a 12-string guitar. So the tuning would look like: Ee Aa Dd Gg.

4. i was thinking the eight strin bass like stuart from jamiroquai, he would play teh most common type of 8 string, i think that would be octave tuning, help! i want one, but how could i play it if i cant tune it

5. bb77

bb77

Oct 13, 2001
    The 8th string have double strings, in other words 4 regular strings and other 4 but thinner and is tuned an octave higher than the four regular

6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I find B,E,A,D,G,C,F,Bb to be useful, but I'm thinking of going to C#,F#,B,E,A,D,G,C, In preparation of getting a 10-string tuned G#,C#,F#,B,E,A,D,G,C,F. That is, of course, if I can get a .008 string to tune to that high F above guitar E at a 34" scale...;)

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh boy - for a minute there I thought you meant G# C# F# *low B* E... :)

.008 is the standard high-D string on Chapman Stick (and maybe Warr guitar too), so you should be able to get some from them. But note that it's tuned to D - E on a 34" scale has always been a problem if not near-impossible. If you manage an F, I think some people would be interested in finding out how. :)

(edit) I see that they do list a .007 for a possible high E on the Stick guage chart at Stickwire,

http://www.clever.net/stick/stickwire/date.cgi?STT4.html

So maybe it's not as hard as I thought.

(apologies to the thread starter since this is useless for him, unless he eventually decides to make a 14-string Bb,Ea,Aa,Dd,Gg,Cc,Ff octave bass! heheh :eek: )

8. ..why a 34 inch scale? i believe a longer scale would work better for such low strings...

9. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    stu played a custom warwick streamer 8 string, tuned

EeAaDdGg

8 strings are badass, i kinda want one :) (but after the dolphin, the j-bass, and the 6string fretless)

jason

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Thanks a bunch Geshel! My apologies as well to the thread starter for going a bit off thread. Technically, this would be a Warr Guitar, so its not a bass, really, and 34" for a .140 or .145 low G# would be fine in this application, though I have thought of the Novax idea, which would get me longer bass strings, and more comfortably short treble strings. More $$. Ahh well, I haven't bought it yet, so it's not much of an issue, I'm sure my 8 will keep me occupied for a long time.