1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

eighth note swing feel for improvising - ideas on technique

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by dclamont, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dclamont

dclamont

Mar 24, 2010
    hi i am looking to improve my eighth note swing feel on improvising over simple chord progressions - some feedback so far talks about using the half step slide and enclosed chord tones...dave

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    What's an "enclosed chord tone"?

3. dclamont

dclamont

Mar 24, 2010
    the enclosed chord tone is where on each of the available scale notes you use a semi tone above and below to give yourself more note options onsoloing - there is a goo you tube clip of scott devine on his web site i think it is called improvising over static dominant chords part 1....david

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Not for nothing, but you never heard Lester Young or Bird talking about "enclosed chord tones".
    Bill Barron and a bunch other folks from UM Amherst came down to East Bumf**kGA where I used to live and that was an approach they were putting forth - the idea of improvisation as classical "ornamentation" of melody (appoggiatura, etc.). But any time you start thinking about what you are going to play, you're not in the moment anymore.
    But do what you want.

5. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I dunno if it's what you're talking about, but I use adjacent notes (chromatic, if you will) as passing notes sometimes, or for a "slide in," so to speak. It has nothing to do with swing feel, though. You can think of swing as playing in 12/8 or 9/8 time if you like (ok, let's not get that argument going). Basically, that's what it is, though. When thinking in 4/4, it's like quarter-note triplets with the first two notes of the triplet tied together. But, since it's easier to just write and read two eighth notes we just say "swing" at the top of the page.

Now, with that said, how to improve your swing feel? Well, for me, I try to pay attention to where my accent is, and which fingers to use for each note. Take notice of what you're doing now. Notes on the beat are often accented in, say, a walking bass line. Use whatever feels like your dominant finger for those notes.

That's just a "for instance," if that's what you're getting at.

6. dclamont

dclamont

Mar 24, 2010
    cheers Russell your reply was very helpful,

regards

david

7. dclamont

dclamont

Mar 24, 2010
    you are probably right,i only found out about enclosed chord tones about 24 hrs before i posted my question here, anyway thanks for the reply,must try and avoid Georgia, did get to Atlanta a couple of years ago, not too impressed with the exception of the Atlanta bass gallery,
    regards david

8. gleventhal

gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    Here is something I am working on for 8th note swing groove.. Play a chromatic scale descending with this articulation short Slurred-short short So it would be C B-Bb A Ab G-Gb F..... kind of like Da Dada Da. If that make sense. Keep working on it until it swings at all tempos... Once you can solo using chromatic scale, you will be comfortable doing other stuff more easily, I believe.

9. dclamont

dclamont

Mar 24, 2010
    thanks for that will give this a try

regards

david