1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Either this is a scam or...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jgoldbe, Mar 25, 2009.

1. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You should roll over there and find out for sure!

3. Nice color on that too. Hopefully it's not a scam. If you go look at it, let us know. :)

4. looks too newbish to be a scam, maybe he just didn't do his research! yay cheap bass!

5. Hi.

Did You get it?

Just make sure it ain't hot.

Regards
    Sam

6. experimental bassist

experimental bassist

Mar 15, 2009
    Slightly beat up 4003 for $750, missing bridge cover and several dents and dings for starters. Who knows, maybe he just needs the money quick.

Not a big Ric devotee myself, but seems like prices have really climbed for them over the last few years (I can remember when 4001s sold used for $400 all day long, $450 if they were in exceptional shape. I guess I'm old. :rolleyes:

I'm curious what you guys would have asked for this bass?

7. Remember, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. But if you live nearby, you could scoop yourself a good deal if you go in person to check it out!

8. IDK. If you've got a hankering for that bass, it says that you're from NYC. What's there to lose from going over and checking out that Ric? Just avoid rush hour :)

Buying it w/o playing it: Never. But if you have a chance to carefully inspect it, you've got yourself a steal. :bassist:

Looks to me like the player was reaching for the stars, w/the wireless system and all, and then, life kicked in viciously (haven't we all been there?) and brought different stars along, can you dig it? Indeed, might be someone who really needs cash fast (the reason's none of your biz, unless you're a cop or clergy, IMHO), or some newbie: The spelling "dinks" appears to me to be a non-typo, perhaps another indication that this individual never was immersed in our glorious bass culture. We all call them "dings" even after a night at the pub :D

Or, as one of our esteemed colleagues mentioned, the bass might be hot :ninja:. It's got a serial number: If it's scratched off (I've no clue how they sn the Ric but I'd hope it's there), stay away and perhaps even tip off the cops, b/c chances are some decent bassist is crying his/her eyes out :bawl:. OTW, I've no idea how you check the temp of merch. I reckon that politely stepping out to "call a friend" and checking with the PD whether someone reported this sn missing might be one way. Anybody here know if PDs are now wired so that they can trace hot property across the country (or, heck, world)?

If I were a four-stringer, I'd grab it if all the above (and other thangs I can't think of, being sleep-dep'd) checks out. Those Rics are just so darn expensive, and this one isn't! If the issues are mainly cosmetic, they can be fixed unless you dig the road-worn :rollno: look.

I'm envious: I was born Upstate 400 miles NW of NYC but I'd check this one out if I played four-strings; it's so worth the drive after an information-gathering phone-call. Plus, whooboy, it's blue, apparently dark blue. I've been suffering from a terrible case of GAS for a dark blue fiver. It just looks so beautiful to me, after jet black like my Stingray5 of course :spit:

Excuse me for all the emoticons and such: They're helping me stay awake. Thx!

:hyper::hyper::hyper:

9. Because it's coming with the wireless, I'm inclined to believe that this was either lifted straight from a gig and so it's hot property, or that the seller has indeed gave up on the rock star lifestyle.

10. I like that thinking! I'm not foolin,' I like it! So there are probably two options and if the latter one mentioned by India Sierra is true, then GO FOR IT, P-L-E-A-S-E. Don't let the poor seller have to go on over to the local pawnshop or try to sell it side-by-side with the hot/fake-watch sidewalk dealers.

Show some compassion :atoz:! Or rage :mad:. It depends and it should be easy to find out.

11. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I don't think the seller knows what he's doing. He thinks new Ric's are selling for $1500?

12. So best to hurry up and do the check on the bass as mentioned below, and buy that perty thang before our craigslistian awakens from the altered-cognitive state associated w/whatever s/he/it's on.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It doesn't happen very often, but deals like this do happen. Snap it up quick.

14. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Oh my word...if I hadn't blown my $750 on a Lākland 44-01 last week, I'd be all over this (considering the price, and also the fact that I live practically 20 minutes away from the seller). Somebody...anybody...just buy it before the GAS gets to me :rollno:

15. Run the SN on the Ric site first. It's on the jackplate. If it's legit, buy it! He's throwing in a NADY wireless and a set of strings for less than 800 bucks! I would call the local cops and find out if there is anything reported stolen from that area though. No doubt if it was stolen it would be reported, and even if it turns out it was stolen and not reported, you checked it out and should be in the clear if it comes to that later. Another thought is this guy might be having a druggie closeout. The fact that he put encourages calling instead of email gives you a good in to investigate before hand.

16. jgoldbe

jgoldbe

Jul 9, 2008
    New York City
    actually I was just posting this for others to see. Im not in the market for a new bass, since i just picked up a geddy jazz in a trade and have no job...

I could contact the guy and get the serial number if anyone is interested...

17. Jarwick

Jarwick

Dec 5, 2007
    Babylon, NY
    sounds hot to me.. i heard some horror stories about craigs list including robberies... you dont want to show up with $800 in your pocket and he robs you and then what? You went to buy a possibly hot bass and now your out $800 and the cops will probably not be able to do anything cuz its your word against theres... Id meet him in liek a guitar center not his or even your home... I heard some really terrible things when I worked at Sam Ash so be careful... Id avoid it if I were you, I know its probably driving you crazy seeing such a great deal but you dont want to get screwed

18. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    Man...if this is really legit and not a scam, what a deal it would be. I'm almost tempted to go check this seller out tomorrow...but what would I pay him? The money I don't have? :p

19. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well if you don't call him i'm going to just so i can sell it for what it's worth in a year or two.

20. iplaybasstexas

iplaybasstexas

Apr 5, 2008
    DFW
    me thinks its pretty legit.