Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

EKO bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RedGrange, Jun 29, 2000.

1. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I came across one of those ugly Eko Fiddle Basses... and I want it!!! I know les claypool plays one.

Does anyone have one, played one, know more about it!?!

2. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I played one back in the 60's for about 3 years. It served me well, sounded fine and had no problems. I never considered it any uglyier than a Hofner.

3. Jazzbassman23

Jazzbassman23

Apr 20, 2000
    Maryland

4. RedGrange

RedGrange

Jun 11, 2000
    Springfield, IL
    I played it, it was only 350.. I don't know if that is good or not. I am no longer a huge fan of les claypool by the way. The short scale threw me off... I would probably tear the frets out... but then again.. maybe I'll just got an Ampeg Baby bass and call it a day [​IMG]
    But they are totally different basses...

5. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    I played one of these for years but never knew much about the history of it. Recently I learned that they were built in the Vox factory after it was moved from England to Italy. Many of the Itialian Vox models are highly sought after and very expensive today.

This explains the reasonably good quality and sound of these basses. Had I not been starving at the time, I would still have mine today.

If anyone out there has my EKO with the custom psycodellic paint job, I want it back.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

According to a couple of interviews I have read in Bass Player, Les loves the EKO, he has used it on several tracks, but he keeps it at home and will not travel with it for fear of it getting stolen or damaged. I believe he even said that it plays better(short scale, of course) and sounds better than any of his other basses.. I'll have to dig that interview up..

------------------
    check out my basses on my gear page! http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/robson/1174/music/gear.html

the fabric of reality is woven from the threads of our dreams...
    bill longshort

El Pelusa likes this.
  7. Claypool has to have used it on Tales from the Punchbowl, on "Captain Shiner" and "De Anza Jig" in particular. I can't imagine getting a sound that fat from a solidbody bass.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    YOU CAN find that kind of eko basses at hendrixguitar.com.
    they sold it at 500$. another old italian good brand was davoli, they made also impressive bass/organ tube amps.

10. My father purchased an Eko when he was 19 and used it to perform with his band at all the hotels in Miami Beach in the early 60's. He since passed it on to me when i turned 19 and it was and still is in mint condition. When he gave it to me it had original strings. I have the original case and everything. These basses have a very unique sound. Its not a very bright sound but is irreplaceable in the studio. Nothing but good things to say about this very very undervalued brand!!

El Pelusa likes this.
  11. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W' Sconsin
    My second ever bass was an Italian Eko, way back in 1970. At the time I was thrilled cause I didn't have an amp and I could still hear what I was playing, and it was 200% better than my first bass, a Teisco / Silvertone. That said, I am now laughing when I see them going for $400-$500. I just got a 77 Greco Hofner copy for $399 that is excellent, far far better IMO. It's a crap shoot with all the Beatle Bass clones out there.

12. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic and card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    +1

Dark, bassy, but not muddy, IMHO. Good of it's type. I'd say use it with 2x15s on rollingstones, kinks, and wilson pickett covers of the era to savor what I heard it do well. They have got a good punchy tone of the "low end chest thumpin" variety. :hyper:

As others have said, it's a well-made Italian bass, though I don't know how well they've aged. I played one a lot in the late 60's, because a neighbor had one. A rival also had one that I heard a lot. A couple of years before, I had luckily played various Hofners in a music store (about 1966). :p

My impression is that the Eko is much much darker than Hofner basses, and quite a bit more thumpy than those german violin basses of the day--and in a good way--though the Eko was not as sophisticated in tonal range...more like a higher end 2-pick-up hollow body Framus bass, and with a similar neck profile, as I recall--all IMHO. :ninja:

13. aarlm

aarlm

Aug 13, 2007

14. basstef

basstef Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Bologna, Italy
    Hi guys,

I've found one close to where I live and I am in the process of buying it !
    Even if I am not really an electric player, I want this bass and this sound !!! :hyper:

15. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Nice old Italian import (1966-1973) by the Laduca Brother of Milwaukee. The list was around $350; half of what the list of a Hofner was at the time. The same pickups are found in many VOX basses from the same time period.
    It has a funky truss system that never really worked.
    I remember a guy from the old neighborhood used to stuff rags inside the body through the F holes- I was to keep the feedback down.
    I've seen these recently sell for $600 without the rags.
    Here's a case where you would be better off buying a "new" bass wiyhout any drama.

G

16. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    Wow. This old thread has been resurrected a couple of times now.

Friend of mine has one of these and I've got a similar old Univox, both MIJ from the 60's, and I've played them both extensively. They're definitely funky, cool old basses with a vintage vibe that you can't get from the new cheap Beatle bass knockoffs. Definitely worth the money in my book.

17. bassko

bassko

Nov 10, 2006
    I have one. But it's in closet most of the time. ;):)

[​IMG]

18. The only place that imported the EKOs in the US was the LoDuca Brothers in downtown Milwaukee. There was a music store in the building- you'd go up there and there was all kinds of odd and excessively overpriced stuff. What was really neat is you'd step into this old building, and then into this 1930s elevator, and you're back in time. Then you get up to the music store and there's a couple of old Ampeg Portaflex amps- outrageously nutty priced. I remember a bunch of Mutron effects. But the biggest thing was the EKOs all over the walls. Everywhere. One of the sales guys told me there were over 2,000 guitars in the basement. There's a reason for that. Granted, this was 15 years ago. But why would the sole US Distributor for these instruments still be sitting on 2,000 instruments 20 years after they stopped making them? Because they didn't sell.

I'm not a fan of EKOs. Either the guitars or basses. I think they're crappy. They feel cheap. They fall apart. They don't play well. They don't sound good. They look tacky. They were crappy when they were cheap in all the second hand stores. They're still crappy, though some may be referring to them as "vintage."

IIRC, the big "endorsement artists" that EKO had were The Standells.

The building that used to house the LoDuca Brothers is now condos. If you keep an eye out during The Blues Brothers movie, you should be able to see the building.

19. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    There's a store over here in London, Uk that sells parts to build them. Not copies like Warmouth, but actual EKO stock.

http://www.brandoniguitars.co.uk/

As outlined on the website, Brandoni bought the entire EKO inventory when they closed down in 1987. So all the parts he has are well seasoned and ripe for building and although it would be a newly built guitar it will have an authentic vintage quality. You can also buy complete guitars if you don't fancy building yourself.

I don't know what shipping to the US will be like, but if may be easier cheaper than sourcing one over there.

He also bought the vox stocks back when.... So if anyone fancies something radicaly different, like a phantom or teardrop bass....

20. Trainwreck024

Trainwreck024

Apr 2, 2008
    spam deleted.