Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by barroso, Nov 28, 2000.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    i'm looking for guys who own basses, amps or anything else made by the italian brand EKO.
    i have to complete a research for university and need info and pictures about those basses, comments on eko are welcome in every form.
  2. A friend of mine had a fretless acoustic EKO bass, with strange black flatwounds on it. But he sold it to one of his friends.. no me though ;)
  3. nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    How about DID own. I owned and played a hollow body scroll head bass in the 60's. It played well, never required any set up change from the factory settings and looked great.

I bought it at a music shop in Chicago in 1967. I had gone there to buy a Gibson solid body but the looks and feel of the EKO stole my heart.

In honor of the Cream rage, I put a psychedelic paint job on it. One of the bands I played in was justly named "Pressed Rat & Warthog" The other band was "Grinders"

I sold it to Joe Bailey in Williamsburg Kentucky when I graduated from college as I was in dire straights for money to get to my new teaching job out west. I wish I had it back.

My only complaint was that it could have had better quality pickups.
  4. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I might be wrong but didn't EKO manufacture for VOX during the late sixties/early seventies?
  5. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    you are not wrong Paul. eko manifactured a lot of guitars, basses and amps over the year. it seems they are back with instruments made in italy after only putting the name eko on chinese cheap guitars for several years. unluckly it's not easy contact eko as they do not answer to e-mail, so i'm tryin to have informations from you guys. i'm particularry interested in basses and the semihollowbody bass nanook spoke about is one of the most strange and interesting basses made by eko. according to several informations it seems that primus bass player Les Claypool owns and play this kind of bass. honestly i have to say that i've seen only in old pictures. actual website for eko is the everunderconstruction ekoguitars.com. perhaps they are not the best sounding bass guitar of the world, but i think it's a little shame seeing that other are making interesting and unusual things out of the '60 eko style. i think to italia guitars for example.

nanook do you have a picture of that bass guitar you owned?
    thanks a lot!
  6. eko stuff is pretty crap, generally, but some of the plastic bodied guitars of the 60's are absolute beauties (even if some are gawd-ugly!).

the only Eko basses i've seen are fretless acoustics, and their own copy of the Hofner beatle/viola bass. amp-wise there's a head/cab unit @ a shop here (i think it's sold though) that has no english on it and looks VERY fine!
  7. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I don't know how I remember this, (maybe it was that weird little "flip" carving on the bass head), but the guy who played bass for the Seeds in the 60's played an Eko. They have a website where you can ask the original lead singer, Sky Saxon, e-mail questions.

You might also research Vox, since Eko made their Starstreams for them.

Also Tony Bacon's, The Ultimate Guitar Book, has info on them. Maybe his book on basses has some, too. I haven't bought it yet.
  8. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    dear rickbass, can you tell me the website of this band you spoke about? i'm not able to find it!
    thanks again
  9. it was my first bass. bought it new in 71. it seems i did the same as nanook and repainted the sunburst finish over to my liking,......ooooops i even cut the scroll top off after a while cause i thought it looked stupid. the pickups were somewhat weak, i remember the white plastic pickups. i think a skunk stripe down the back of the neck. it did play pretty well, although what did i know then.......i used a vox essex bass amp with it that came in a dolly with wheels on it. good luck, i dont have any pics,.........jim