1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

EL-34s and bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mosfed, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Washington DC
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    hey there

So I am moving and I came across a bunch of just amazing EL-34 power tubes. Got me thinking about getting an amp designed around EL-34s but you don't see a lot of bass amps designed around EL-34s. Is there a reason for this? Seems like a nice VR-4 type Amp could work wonderfully.

2. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I had a Traynor YBA3 and it used EL-34's. It sounded wonderful kinda of Ampeg-ish but with a somewhat different growl but, it was not reliable. I don't know if that is a characteristic of the tube or the way the amp was designed.

Mosfed likes this.
  3. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    If you can swing it, get a Sadowsky SA-200 to put those babies in, muy bueno.

AstroSonic and Mosfed like this.
  4. The Traynor YBA300 is able to use 6L6GC and EL34 power tubes. But ya gotta have 12 of the suckers! Very nice amp btw

5. bertbass666

bertbass666

Mar 6, 2009
    In the UK EL34s were / are just about the only output valves, sorry tubes, used in 100w heads, so any UK 100w head is what you need. Marshall, Hiwatt, Sound city, Orange, the list is virtually endless and In my opinion, they sound a lot better than 6550s.

webmonster and rickdog like this.
  6. Aus was similar. My old/1st amp was an Aus made Eminar 150w amp with 6 EL34 power tubes. Built in Melbourne in early 70s. Sounded good too!

7. Same goes for 50W heads. A pair for 50W and a quad for 100W. A superb tube for bass IMO.

webmonster likes this.
  8. I've used a 70s Traynor YBA1 for over 20 years, and it's the most reliable, bomb proof, idiot proof amplifier in the known universe. It uses 2 EL34s.

AstroSonic likes this.
  9. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    The original Music Man amps (65 series and HD-130 series) used 6CA7/EL34

AstroSonic likes this.
  10. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Here is an interesting power tube comparison with a guitar.

11. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Germany