El Capitan Intonation Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheToe, Feb 22, 2004.

1. TheToe

Feb 2, 2004
    Dayton, OH
    I have an 4-string Epiphone El Capitan with an intonation problem (sharp by the time you get to the 7th or 8th fret). I can't move the bridge... Any recommendations? If I can't lick the intonation thing, is it very difficult to convert it to fretless?
  2. You can't move the bridge or you can't move the saddles?
  3. dave251

dave251 Wendler Instruments

Feb 5, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    The typical repair for an acoustic flattop instrument is to fill the saddle slot and recut the slot in the correct location. Because of the piezo transducer, the job gets a bit more expensive.

This is a common problem with inexpensive instruments in general, and particularly if you're not using the same brand/gauge of strings that came with the bass.
  4. wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    A year or two back I started noticing horrible intonation problems with my electro-acoustic. One of the features was that the out of tuneness varied across and along the strings - as I recall, one fret might be 20 cents sharp and the next one 15cents flat on a given string, etc.

The solution, in my case, was new strings. I put a set of Thomastik acoustic bass strings on and everything was back to sweetness. Recently I've noticed it's getting a bit dodgy again in the higher part of the neck but not nearly as bad as before. Therefore, before you start fiddling around with tricky bridge adjustments, it might be worth considering whether a set of new strings might be a better solution (if you put them on and they don't help, you can always take them off and save them until you've got the bridge sorted out).