Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

El Nino

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Jan 31, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I don't know how much people hear about "El Nino" in other parts of the world, but here on the west coast of the USA we're hearing about this again.

It seems to me that I heard about this for the first time a few years ago. They said that it was a naturally occuring anomaly that only happened about once every 100 years or so and caused abnormal weather. I was in my mid twenties and it was the first I had ever heard of it. Of course the next thing was that the year after is La Nina and that screws up the weather too. I am hearing now that we are having yet another El Nino and that they occur every 3 to 4 years. It sounds to me like it's getting closer to being something that happens about every 2 years and lasts about 2 years. I have come to the conclusion that the our weather patterns are changing due to the effects of global warming it's becoming more obvious to the general population. I think the 'El Nino' thing has been made up (by "the man") to keep people from freaking out about it. Then again sometimes I'm just ignorant and paranoid. So whats up? I'm I insane? or am I so sane, I just blew your mind?

2. Insane.

3. As a fellow Washingtonian, I know what you're talking about. All this rain really really sucks. We've gotten so much rain that it's flooded or is going to flood most of the rivers in Western Washington. It was raining so hard here last night that I woke up. It's crazy. I never wake up for anything unless it's a rather large earthquake but man, it was rediculous last night.

Oh well, I rain is dying down, and the weather forecasters say that it should be gone by Monday, so here's to hopin'!

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

El Nino is (either the name of, or the weather effect caused by) a large body of warm ocean water that, as it moves with the ocean currents and becomes cooled, affects the weather.

Hardly an anomaly, it is a more common occurance, though someone here is probably better at explaining the finer details.

It definately ain't "the Man."