Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

El Whappo vs. Bergy 322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Biker4Him, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Accugroove El Whappo

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  2. Bergantino HT322

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  3. Ampeg Pr410HLF

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Other (please share)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Has anyone compared these two? What are your thoughts?

Or what about any other cab for intestinal rumblefication? (a new word?) that's clear and concise all the way through the register and will simply rip your guts out.

2. I don't know if your going to get many hits on this thread. It's sort of premature. I did the same thing about the 322 when it first came out and the thread had hundreds of hits but only my lonley reply to myself trying to keep it alive. :(

I have not a/b these cabs, but the HT-322 is absoultley killer! It's my favoite cab and I also own a Ht212 and two 112s HT and EX. They are all very good cabs. I'm sure the A-grooves are very cool, but I don't think you'll get to much A/B action just yet. Better wait if you can't test them yourself, or just get the Berg! :bassist:

3. I think that Adrian is just about to receive his El Whappo. As he's been a faithful 322 user for a while perhaps he'll post his thoughts when it arrives.

Me? I'm just an interested bystander at this point, but that may change.

4. Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I think Adrian is supposed to get it tomorrow. Even though I'm sure he has a lot more important things to do, I hope he will share his perspective after trying it out.

I thought I was an innocent bystander myself. But now I'm just GAS'ed.

I guess it's becuase I love my new bass so much, I want only the best for it.... (since I don't have any children that lived) My toys are my kids, (I'm mad at the dogs today)

Thanks again

5. I just read something on a similar thread. It might be more appropriate to compare a Berg HT-322 with a Whappo JR., rather than an El Whappo. The bigger A-groove is a four way with a 15".

Just trying to keep things even. :)

6. Larry Kaye

Larry Kaye Retailer: Schroeder Cabinets

Mar 23, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    An El Whappo lists out over $2000. Even with a fairly healthy discount, we're talkin a street price of $1550-1700 I'll bet. The 322 is a $1000-1050 street price cabinet. For $550 to $700 more street price, in my mind there SHOULD be a noticeable or a significantly noticeable difference between the two. Then it's just a question of personal taste as to whether that difference is pleasant to our ears individually and it's large enough to justify the moolah.

Now the Whappo Jr is still a bit more expensive than the Bergie 322, and therefore, in my jaded opinion, should be anywhere from a "yeah, I think I can hear a difference in A, b, and c" to there's a definite difference". Significant difference is not required for an extra $200-300 dollars in my mind.

We're at the point where opinions are more likely buying determinants that facts. But, if that difference is significant AND positive, in a category that's important to the owner, what's another couple hundred or even $500 dollars?

We bassists are paying a premium for our speaker cabinets guys. The AccuGrooves, Acme's, and EA's are at least unique in their approaches. I think Epi's and Bergies also have some unique designs that pushed the envelope a little farther upward, but not nearly the way the above three work. I'm hoping that the Whappo Jr. raises the bar a little farther up the tone chain.

LKaye

7. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    ok, i guess there are a couple of similar threads, so ill reply to this one..
    just got the wahppo cab in- plugged it in immediately - my initial observatons??
    this is a HUGE sounding cab!! is IS HUGE!! much bigger than i thought, dunno why..
    the 15 gives it extreme bottom- if you play anything that requires this, its THE cab for that- if you playreggae and play it loud- this cab will be ideal-
    as a bassist in Vegas, where the trend is towards small cabs and esay , fast setup, this cab will have a hard time making a place for itself- as i told Mark at Accugroove- the manager will be in my face telling me to turn down BEFORE i plug in!!
    the cabinet again sounds fantastic- it will handle ll you give it- if size isnt roblem and you have a nice truck to haul it in- i say go for it!! its expensive and narrowed down to those who want maximun tone and sound and ont mind paying for it- I think teh Whappo Jr, again, will be a cab that we can more closely compare to the 322- I am not biug onb making comparisonns and you guys put me on the spot- because i happen to be a fan of both Accugroove and Bergantino- i will not say one is better than the other- i can only suggest which one is more suitable to the individual player's needs-
    there you have it, great cab- huge lows-not for a small stage..

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    Biker4Him - got your email- NO WORRIES!!! its totally cool!!- peace and God bless- Adrian