1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

el whappo w/ gordo?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MODNY, Mar 23, 2006.

1. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i should be getting my el whappo sometime next week.

now, i've been trying to unload my Gordo that i have, but haven't had any luck.

should i run the gordo with the whappo on big stages? or just sell itn still

18, 15, 12 ? those are big speakers. i dont wanna hear all mud. especially since the 15 in the whappo is a woofer.

thoughts? tom? lol stew?

2. This post wll be useless since I don't know about that setup and it's a decision you'll have to make of course; but the El Whappo has an incredible amount of booty by itself as I'm sure you've heard. You really can feel the 'bong rattling bass' and you'll sound as if you're in grand funk with this cab by itself. But I'd love to try the Grande or Gordo with the El Whappo one day.... no clue what it'd sound like together... but the El Whappo is very controlled as are all the A-Grooves I've tried, I don't think it'd get too 'muddy' in a bad way. Just total guess tho so it's useless *shrug*

let us know what you think of the two combined when you get it.

3. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC
    Maybe I can offer some info,

I've tried that setup before, and it was indeed bone crushing, lots of fun and bottomless lows. The El Whappo for my taste has plenty of lows already, so adding a sub isn't neccesary for a low B, but it sure is fun!

Right now, I'm running my whappo with a tri210 on top with my CA9, and I like that setup alot. Plenty of everything, and very snappy. But hey, if you have the gordo, you may as well make use of it. With one side of the CA9 per cab, that rig is going to jam!!

I'm surprised you had no takers on the gordo. Thats the sickest single 18 sub around, especially for its size

4. J.Wolf

J.Wolf Gear Reviewer - Bass Musician Magazine Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Asheville, NC

That is amazing!! My favorite setup of all time. The 21" adds some serious mojo to even a four string!

5. Personally I believe that you'll be hard-pressed to ever need more than a single El Whappo with a CA9, but as the others have said I would love to try it with the Tri210L, and of course the Grande at some point. Let us know how you make out.

6. Have any of you guys tried running a Whappo Junior with the Grande?

7. schmittuml

schmittuml

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA

+1 very curious to hear as I am lookin at this for a setup for tone heaven

8. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    thanks for all the insight

due to this thread, i have had more interest with my gordo. i guess people thought i sold it or something/

who knows