1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Elbows

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Uncle K, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Uncle K

Uncle K The bass player doesn't get a sandwich Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    Do you raise your elbows when you play?

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    No.

3. metalhead398

metalhead398

Jul 23, 2013
    Ventura
    Almost always the underside of my forearm is on the bass, unless it starts to cramp up. Then yes, I raise my elbows to straighten my arm out.

4. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    I learned to hold my right elbow away from my body out of necessity when I bought a semi-hollow Jack Casady Epi, which has a thick body and sharp edges that made it painful to rest my forearm on the top edge of the body. Only later did I discover that most teachers recommend doing so anyway, in order to keep your plucking-hand wrist straight (and thus avoid strain and/or injury). Once I got comfortable with this position I noticed that it greatly improved my plucking technique, so I do it now with all my basses.

5. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    No.