1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electra bridge replacement

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluesax, Jun 19, 2017.

1. bluesax

bluesax

Feb 17, 2012
    Have this 60's (?) Electra EB3 copy. It's long scale (34), two pickup, open headstock so I think it is a Tritone 2261 (although it has a three-way pickup selector and not a Varitone). My problem is that the bridge on it has become curved badly (see pics), The posts 20170614_151549. 20170614_151526. 20170619_112338. 20170614_151549. 20170614_151526. 20170619_112338. 20170614_151549. 20170614_151526. 20170619_112338. screw down easily so I'm leery of trying to 'straighten' the bridge and changing their position. Also, is this a bridge that would have have a string mute? If so it's nowhere to be found. So, I'd like help with 1)solid identification of model 2)way to straighten this bridge (if keeping it) 3)good replacement bridge(s) for this bass. Thanks for any assistance

2. Hipshot does a replacement 2 point bridge that would likely fit. Dimensions are on their website. Individual string height adjustment. Doesn't look like stock at all though. There are replacement 2 point bridges available on the 'Bay. Just search Gibson 2 point bass bridge. Should get a lot of hits. I doubt the original could be fixed. It would most likely crack when trying to straighten.

RSBBass, sissy kathy and Lownote38 like this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    I've got a question. With the bridge the way it is now, do the screw posts go in the holes easily? 'Cause, if so, then I'd say that the bridge is supposed to be like that. By any chance, does the fretboard have a very small radius - like upright basses do? I don't have any basses with that small a radius, but I do have a few with bridges that match the neck's radius... and if anything, I'd guess it had a bridge cover when it was new. ;)

4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Here's what they should look like

images. images.

That doesn't include the mute, obviously.

5. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Here's the mute for that bridge
    images.
    It attached to the body of the bass, the two screw holes immediately to the right of the black muting material were used to fasten the mute in place along with the one in front of the control tab. You are looking at the mute in the raised or muted position. when you pushed on the tab at the right the mute disengaged. the sliding bar was bent upwards at an angle on the other end. That would raise or lower the mute. If you can find one it would also work with the Hipshot 2 point bridge.

EDIT: Yeow! What a price Vintage 1960's Gibson EB-0, EB-2, EB-3 Bass String Mute! Original Chrome Part!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  6. bluesax

bluesax

Feb 17, 2012
    Kathy,
    Thanks for the pictures. Now I have an idea how it should look and I'm sure I can't straighten mine to that 'flat.' If mine is original, I'm trying to figure out what happened. So it should be pretty flush to the body. Good to know. Gonna be a nice player when its brought back. Thanks again

7. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I think I can tell you what happened. And you can check the nut to confirm. I think someone was using high gauge strings that were just too much for the bridge. If you look at the "D" string ball location you can see there is supposed to be a hole for the end of the screw to poke through but it is broken, probably the "A" string location as well. Using higher tension strings was just too much for that little 'bridge' between the screw hole and the string slot and it broke. String tension took care of things from there. If you check the nut, I think you'll find the nut has been enlarged for over size strings. When you manage to get this back in order, I'd stick to light or medium light strings, though the Hipshot bridge may be much stronger.

That's my hypothesis and I'm sticking to it. ;)

I notice the mounting holes for the mute are on you bass, so it was there at some point.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Gluvhand likes this.
  8. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I'd give a try at salvaging it, IF you know a skilled MIG welder AND it's made of steel. You can check to see if it's steel simply by checking to see if it's magnetic. If both conditions exist bend it back into shape and have the ends that are broken welded closed, you probably have to close the end entirely and re-drill for the screw hole and re-slot for the string. It wouldn't be pretty but it would be original; you could have it re-plated.

9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    what's the verdict, and how does this cool thing sound? I've got one penciled on my wish list.

10. velo-hobo

velo-hobo

Oct 7, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    This is kind of a zombie post but I have some useful info to add. Your bass is definitely the 2261. I have two, a fretted and a fretless conversion. the latter was a basketcase with trashed frets, frozen trussrod, busted tuner, missing p/g, etc. so it was good resto-mod conversion candidate using low-tension strings. Killer upright tone with T-I jazz flats and a single Novak Darkstar pickup just forward of the 24th fret position. Electronics were gutted to simple volume and tone. One of my favorite basses now.

On the fretted one, I used the hipshot supertone 2-point bridge. The mounting holes didn't quite line up and I had to ovalize one side's hole and counterbore on a milling machine to get it centered, but after doing so it fits perfectly and is a fantastic bridge. This mod may not be necessary for you as my fretted bass came with a different style bridge originally - a two-saddle like a tele bass, on bent sheet metal with slotted mounting points. So the mounting points may have been different.

On the fretless I used an old Badass I bridge, screwed directly into the body after extracting the existing threaded mounts.

I have the four-saddle bridge, mute, and cover that were originally on the fretless and they seem to be in usable shape. If you are still looking I'll send those parts and whatever associated hardware to you for only the cost of postage. DM me.

sissy kathy likes this.
  11. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    @velo-hobo the op hasn't been on since July 2017. You need to send him a private message so it goes to his email if you are still interested in helping.

12. velo-hobo

velo-hobo

Oct 7, 2010
    Oakland, CA
    I'm aware of that ,thanks! :)

Primarily I posted because there isn't a lot of information about these basses out there, and thought it would be helpful for others who find their way here through web searches. The bridges on these basses are fairly crummy and in my experience have been the main issue holding them back from being players.

As far as the parts offer goes, I would assume if OP still cared they'd be subscribed to the thread that they started. I rarely log on these days but I still occasionally get notifications for threads that I'm involved in. Not everything has to occur at light speed. ;):thumbsup: