Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electra Jazz copy--crap?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dgce, Nov 15, 2004.

1. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    There's an Electra Jazz copy on eBay on the cheap. Looks like something of the 70s ilk. I could use a backup bass and I'm generally a jazz bass kinda guy. Thing is, I know nothing of Electra’s. Were these basses once under the Ibanez umbrella back in the 70s? I've only found reviews on Rick copies made by Electra on Harmony Central and they were pretty positive. Anybody own one or have the general scoop on these axes?

Thanks!
    r

2. http://www.herons.ca/electra/

Pretty good site with some background on electras. I've got a EB3 copy and what can I say- I like it.

It's seen its fair share of abuse over the last 25+ years, but still plays well and is put together nicely.

I think the site I pasted in has a forum- you might try asking around there.

Electras, if I remember, were made in the Matsumoko(sp?) factory in Japan- same as Ibanez. They were imported by a distributor in St. Louis until the mid 1980s...

sorry, I'm rambling. And I'm pretty sure most of the background info you'll want is on the Electra site.

Hope it helps.

Bob

Edit: http://www.therathole.org/guitars/guitars.html

this site offers some info on the Matsumoko factory.

3. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks a lot for that Electra link! I did spot the Jazz copy I'm interested in at their gallery link. Sadly, there doesn't appear to be any kind of review on them. I posted an inquiry on their bulletin board, maybe I'll get lucky.

Really appreciate the help!

r

4. I have an Electra guitar from around 1980 and it's quite good. I wouldn't hesitate to get an Electra bass from the late 70's...I've even been tempted to bid a few times myself.

5. I owned an Electra Jazz copy way back and used it as my funk bass cuz it had frets. This was around 1979. It was OK as a copy but the pickups were absolute crap. Besides not being the same configuration as a Fender, they were a bit weak. But it had the MOP block markers and a tort pg and looked pretty good. If you want an inexpensive but decent instrument, just look at the Essex's and leave this'un alone.

6. The second site I pasted is dedicated to all things Matsumoko. On the forum link you'll find a forum for Electras. Might find some useful stuff there as well, but the forum doesn't seem to get too many hits.

Ah, finally. My vast and deep vat of useless info and trivia is helping someone!

Bob

7. My Dad's Seiwa from the 80's has an Electra neck.

Man, what a crappy guitar. :p

8. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Thanks for the feedback, but I did fail to mention one significant factor in this Electra I'm interested in; this Jazz Bass was moded with Gotoh tuners and EMG pickups. Now if the auction stays super low (I'm talking $200 give or take a few more bucks) then it might be worth it. Given these mods and the kind of money I'm talking, wouldn't you say it nudges out the SX basses and the like?

r

9. dgce

dgce

Jun 17, 2001
    Massachusetts, USA
    Whoops, I missed that one! Thanks again oh Czar of useless info. ;)

r

10. Run with this nearly useless info, my electraless friend. But beware of low branches.

gettin hit in th' head hurts like a muttha. :)

Bob