Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electra vs Ibanez "lawsuit" basses-waddya think of 'em?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dryheatbob, May 5, 2004.

1. Any opinions on the merits or drawbacks to theses basses? I'm eyeing a couple of EB3L copies on ebay, and wondered what everybody here thinks of either brands copies.

Anyone ever have a chance to compare them head to head?

Anyone(Treena, ya out there? ;) ) know of some links where I can read up on them?

Bob

2. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I've owned one of each. I had an Ibanez Siver Series Jazz bass, which had great playability and pretty good tone to boot. Definitely worth the $300 I paid off ebay. I also own an Electra Pbass, which is ugly as sin, has a 7 piece body (I stripped the paint off) and one of the best playing necks I've ever had. It's electronics were HORRIBLE - so I traded them out, and it is now an old standby. I call it my beater bass. :p

Both of these were made in the 70's - Ibanez in '74 and Electra in '79 in memory serves.

My best friend has a Ibanez lawsuit jazz, also a pretty nice bass. Great value.

Of course, these are three basses out of thousands?? YMMV.

3. I've got a fretless Ibanez Silver Series Jazz from '77 and a fretted Ibanez Jazz copy from '75 and my personal opinion is that they are great.

I've been told to never sell my fretless a couple of times so there seems to be more people than me that likes it. Of course not everything is great, the fretless is in dire need of a new set of strings and it might benefit from a pickup change. The fretted looks great ([homer mode] block inlays mmm[/homer mode]) but it the fretts are pretty low and starting to wear out on the A-string, also thinking about changeing the pickups (it sounds great as it is but I want even more growl).

To sum it up my two Ibanezes plays great! I doubt that I will ever sell anyone of them...

4. I owned an Electra Jazz many, many years ago. My main bass was a fretless P and I had a difficult time with anything bright and funky so I acquired the Electra because it had frets and, at least, looked like a Fender.

Horrible pups - they were a small chrome HB style thing - not a real J pup. The neck had a great profile but needed some tweaking occasionally. It was a real looker too with 3 tone sunburst, rosewood neck and MOTS block inlays. It also came with both the pup cover and the bridge cover. This was around 1978 or 1979. I wish I had it back because it was a pretty good instrument with good construction. I could really make it a thumper now.

5. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I don't know about the Ibanez lawsuit basses, but I used to have one of their lawsuit SG guitar copies. It was a nice guitar, except for the pickups and hardware. As far as the construction I would say it was as good as a lot of Gibson SGs from the same time period. It would have been a really nice guitar with a few upgrades (pickups, tuners), but I was young and poor at the time (early '80s). It was stolen years ago, but I really wish I still had it. I would guess that the basses were similar.

6. Hey thanks for the input. Looks like either way I'm likely to bring home a good bass, but I was leaning toward the Ibanez- overall it looks to be in better shape than the Electra.

Turns out I got sniped at the last minute on the Ibanez(please tell me it wasn't one a youse guys in the thread :ninja: ), so I emailed the seller asking him to give me first crack at it if the buyer bails out.

jja412- was that a recent ebay buy? Reason I'm asking is I can't find any references that indicate what these basses are going for. I know your jazz copy isn't the same as the SG I'm looking at, but I would guess given the time frame and same manufacturer, what you paid would give me a ballpark price to work with.

C'mon Treena- I know you're out there, and I know you know where to find some info on these things! :D

Bob

7. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Nope, bought mine(Ibanez) about three yrs ago, Sold it about 1 yr and a half ago. Regretted it ever since. Electra's still lying around (got it for $100 - but never seen another like it.) Last time I checked, low $300's was a good price. Who knows now??

8. Thanks, My lot in life is to buy high and sell low. Looks like the price it went for was fair. Hope the other guy backs out...

Bob