1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

electric/acoustic guitar through bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lateralus_84, Aug 8, 2003.

1. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Hey, I was wondering if it is safe to play an acoustic or electric guitar through a bass amp. I want to see what my electric acoustic guitar sounds like throught my Ampeg BA-115.

Also, is it safe and/or possible to hook my 100 watt electric guitar amp(Peavey Bandit 112) to my bass amp so that I can use the bass amp as an extra speaker?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I did a short stint as a guitarist in a classic rock band for a summer in 94 using an AMP BH-260 thru a Bag End S12 & S15 with a Boss ME-3 for reverb and distortion. It sounded great! (my 61 Jazzmaster and 64 Guild Starfire didn't hurt either).

I play my strat thru my J-station into my Ashdown with no ill effect currently as well (thou I usually play from the j_station right to my computer)

I don't think I would trust distortion with a horn... but I never use horns anyway.

3. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    so it should be safe if as long as i don't use distortion?

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Its pretty safe.

5. thumbtrap

thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    There's nothing unSAFE about using a horn with distotion. It just sounds like a wasp in a jelly jar. I kind of like the horn on my 12string strat though (clean only of course).

6. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    aaah all this talk about gu*tar is giving me a headache!

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    you read the title, clicked the link... :rolleyes:

:meh: guess you told us.

Anyway, I don't like or use horns in any of my rigs... and I know other bassist who have blown bass cabinets with distorted guitar. so my previous post is IMHO.

8. I used an AE guitar through a Hartke 3500 and a Genz Benz 1x12 w/Horn. at first it was really harsh and sounded like a buzz saw, but then I eq'ed out a frequency band with the on-board "contour" control on the guitar. Then it sounded amazing. Clear acoustic tone. The guitar has a fishman matrix preamp.

I actually think bass amps are well suited to AE guitars, because they tend toward flatter and more extended range than most electric guitar amps. I have used a couple of heads with my home-brew bass cabinet with AE and I can always find a natural sound.

YMMV I guess.

BT

9. lateralus_84

lateralus_84

May 10, 2003
    Thanks for your help.

10. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    ha speddling i was JK. but about that... the other day after band practice, i ran my guitarists guitar into my SVT-3 pro and hartke cab, it sounded sweeeet. it was nice and fat, and bright. like not muddy or anything. and it was sooo loud. its a great idea. i'm gonna convince my guitarist to get a bass head.