1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electric / Acoustic Strings questions, 5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Felder, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Felder

Felder

Jan 26, 2005
    Question I think I know the answer to. . . but want to make sure.

Usually you do not want to put electric guitar strings on an acoustic, so I assume you do not want to put electric bass strings on an electric/acoustic bass, correct?

Would appreciate recommendations for good electric/acoustic, 5 string bass strings. Like a mellow sound with good sustain.

Thanks in advance.

2. Felder

Felder

Jan 26, 2005
    Did a search after I posted and confirmed my suspicion that you must put acoustic strings on acoustic / electric bass.

Still looking for good recommendations and where to buy 5 string electric bass strings. . . also, where can you buy a single low B string for electric acoustic? When I got my used Ovation Celebrity 5 string the EAGB were new but the B isn't! Go Figure!

Also, I see there are Electric Acoustic Bass Strings and just Acoustic Bass Strings. . . I assume the acoustic bass strings are for uprights, and I will strill need Electric Acoustic for my 5 string Ovation, correct?

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, I don't think you have to put "acoustic" strings on an electric acoustic bass. Lots of people use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, other electric flats (like D'Addario Chromes), or any of several tapewounds on their acoustics, and it works for them. Personally, I hate the sound of those bronzewound strings on an ABG--makes it sound like a big old guitar.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Same here - that's why I use LaBella tapes.