Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric / Acoustic Strings questions, 5 string

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Felder, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Felder

Felder

Jan 26, 2005
    Question I think I know the answer to. . . but want to make sure.

Usually you do not want to put electric guitar strings on an acoustic, so I assume you do not want to put electric bass strings on an electric/acoustic bass, correct?

Would appreciate recommendations for good electric/acoustic, 5 string bass strings. Like a mellow sound with good sustain.

Thanks in advance.

2. Felder

Felder

Jan 26, 2005
    Did a search after I posted and confirmed my suspicion that you must put acoustic strings on acoustic / electric bass.

Still looking for good recommendations and where to buy 5 string electric bass strings. . . also, where can you buy a single low B string for electric acoustic? When I got my used Ovation Celebrity 5 string the EAGB were new but the B isn't! Go Figure!

Also, I see there are Electric Acoustic Bass Strings and just Acoustic Bass Strings. . . I assume the acoustic bass strings are for uprights, and I will strill need Electric Acoustic for my 5 string Ovation, correct?

3. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    No, I don't think you have to put "acoustic" strings on an electric acoustic bass. Lots of people use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats, other electric flats (like D'Addario Chromes), or any of several tapewounds on their acoustics, and it works for them. Personally, I hate the sound of those bronzewound strings on an ABG--makes it sound like a big old guitar.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Same here - that's why I use LaBella tapes.