Electric bass curriculum advice needed

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by BBMS, Jul 2, 2005.

1. BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Hello! I teach middle school band, and for the past six years have been including electric bass into the band program, using the band method and other books (FastTrack and Playpro Interractive) to teach the players the basics (reading music, technique, and tab). I have 15 - 20 of the little critters. I would like to expand my offering to include "real" songs, but not being from a popular music background, I don't know most songs. If any of you could recommend specific songs that would be a good learning tool for my bass players, I would appreciate it. Keep in mind the song content has to be acceptable to a public school setting (unlike one day when asked,"Can I play this song on your stereo? It's real cool, and is called Get Low!") :spit: :rollno: If you could indicate what level (easy, moderate, advanced) that would help, too. Thanks in advance! MY
  2. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    My first teacher gave some easy going music to learn from the start. I'm not exactly sure of composers, and where all played as instrumentals. These included:

- Albatros
    - Apache
    - Raiders in the Sky
    - In the Mood
    - Green Sleeves
    - Guitar Boogie

These songs can be altered to suit individual skill levels as well.
  3. BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks for your reply! The first one! I'm wanting to create a list of a few songs of different genres to assign my bass players. That way I can provide the music (notation and tabs) for each, and perhaps buy recordings they can check out. By establishing a limited number, then I am assured of being able to accomplish my goal, because it takes time to write out the stuff using Finale, and I will be able to purchase the necessary recordings. My problem is I am an orchestral player, and my knowledge of popular music is very limited. I also have to be careful about lyrics and song meanings, which often is deemed unacceptable for a public school setting. Thanks again for your reply! MY
  4. Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    The pleasure was all mine. Thanks for asking.
  5. seanlava

Apr 14, 2005
    You might also want to check out Ed Friedland's series of bass songbooks, Easy Pop Basslines, More Easy Pop Basslines, and Even More Easy Pop Basslines. The songs cover a wide range of styles and eras, and the songs are all appropriate for school use. They are also available with play-along CDs for performance practice.
  6. DrewBud

Jun 8, 2005
    Standing in the Shadows of Motown is a great book with the James Jamerson lines transcribed. It would be a great way to learn and I don't think anyone would object to their kids playing classic motown tunes
  7. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    I teach bass using Friedland's Bass Method from Hal Leonard...there's some pop tunes included in the curriculum as well.
  8. BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks all for your replies! I have purchased Standing in the Shadows of Motown, and several other books that contain some good selections. Now to learn them myself! MY :bassist:
  9. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Something I always teach to my students is the bassline for The Shadows' "Nivram". Cool and simple walking bassline with a very cool solo (and it's a real one. No other instruments play during most of the solo). I have the recording and the sheet music with my suggested fingerings, if you're interested. Chord changes are also included. No tab, but I can add it. I transcribed it by ear and it's pretty accurate. I think it's a "relatively easy" piece. Besides, I also tell to my students that they must play the line (minus the solo, only if they want to try it) without looking at the fingerboard. That's a great exercise.
  10. Rythym-Bassist

Jul 10, 2005
    The Shadows are a good starting point.

They're easierly converted to bass.