1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric bass guitar player here

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by David A. Davis, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Hey guys! First let me say, I really enjoy the double bass forums. As an electric player, I think I've gotten everything I can from the other side ;). I'm looking for new perspectives. I do not have any experience with double bass, and just recently started to really enjoy and understand jazz. I hope I'm posting this in the right sub forum. There just doesn't seem to be an area on the other side that focuses on theory and technique like the DB forums do. Any input for an EBG player is much appreciated.

2. tkozal

tkozal Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    Hi, the role of the electric bass is often the same as DB in jazz. There is much here that applies to the "function" of the instrument as much as the specific technique. I have learned much here, and for shoulder reasons play only slab now.

Even a jazz tuba player would benefit from much of the discussion here.

Just stay away from any discussion that uses the name "Simandl" or a topic that has a lot of 1-2-4, 1-3-4 discussion, it's not for you ;)

3. Thanks tkozal. Yeah, I researched Simandl and ditched that quickly. :)

4. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choiceâ„¢ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Actually, I often use Simandl fingering in the lower positions on my electric bass, and the exercises in the books are good for electric bass fingerboard knowledge, sight reading, and string crossing practice.

- Steve