1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric bass in 50's and 60's Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soma89, Jun 30, 2014.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    I'm interested in hearing some electric bass in old jazz tracks.

Anyone know of any recordings, videos, or bassists?

2. 64jazzbass

64jazzbass Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2002
    Chicago, Il
    Bitches Brew was released in 1970 but there were plenty of electric bass tracks on this classic album by Miles. I believe Monk Montgomery laid down some electric bass in the 60's.

3. Petethebassman

Petethebassman

Mar 7, 2008
    Finland
    Monk Montgomery did the first electric bass jazz recordings I know of, with Lionel Hampton. I've got a 1970's French double LP on the Vogue label with recordings made in September 1953 in Paris; those were originally issued on 10-inch. For 1960's check out mid-60's Verve albums by Johnny Hodges.

4. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    YouTube has some early Monk with Hampton videos. Also check out Freddy Bell and the Bellhops. Once you cue up a video check the "related items" in the right-side pane. Lots of dots you can connect from there.

5. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    Yeah, those YouTube videos of Monk Montgomery are very interesting.

6. Sonny rollins had a lot of records both live and studio with bob cranshaw on bass. Also dizzy had live and studio recordings with the electric.

7. The earliest recording I have found so far of ANY electric bass is Monk Montgomery playing a P bass in the Art Farmer Septet. Four tracks on this LP were recorded July 2 1953, in New York. There are also some live recording from September 1953 of Monk playing with Lionel Hampton's band while touring Europe. Here are some links about the Art Farmer recordings:

The Art Farmer Septet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

8. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    I feel it is safe to say that Monk Montgomery was THE man who popularized electric bass in jazz. I don't believe that's an overstatement.

7dollarbologna likes this.