1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

electric bass piock up not working with strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by benny7770, Dec 5, 2011.

1. benny7770

benny7770

Oct 27, 2011
    Hi this question is related to double bass strings.

I have a cheap double bass, d' adario brand or sounds something along those lines, not sure.I have recently installed pick ups from my electric bass onto the bridge of my double bass. problem is the pick up is not picking up the strings. the pick up is working fine, this means the strings must be of a different material. is this correct?

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    It's possible. Some string materials are non-magnetic. Do you know the exact string type? If not, there are online guides to identifying strings from the colors of the silks at the two ends.

3. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Pics please. Fascinating.

4. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Indeed, pix! What is the exact mounting set up? P- J- or another style of pickup? Have you tried mounting it on the end of the fingerboard instead, where you would get more string excursion, also to drive the pickup better? Just like TI pure nickel flats don't drive the pickup like a Rotosound Swingbass on a standard electric bass, if you do have D'Addario's, they might have a soft nickel wrap the same way. You might need to try a set of strings that has more steel in the construction of the strings, such as Spirocores, Permanents, Jazzers, Flexocors, Flatchromesteels, etc., to drive the pickup better.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Or buy a DB pickup.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I'd like to see a pic or two.

7. Matt Ides